Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

1999 Corolla Starting Problem

Guest peanut1986

Hi,

I am experiencing a issue with my 1999 toyota corolla automatic starting, along with that, when i turn the key to acc or on all the lights in the dash come on really dim and radio is off, but the light brighten back to normal within about 20 seconds, and after that 20 seconds the radio turns on, but when i go from ON to start it's like it dumps the power and the lights go dim again then start to gradually brighten,, I started with the basics,i got the battery checked,, GOOD,,i got the started checked,, GOOD,,i replaced and cleaned every grounding stud in the engine,, i did a resistance check from the battery to the starter it was good, i checked my fuses, all the see through ones are good, i replaced the starter relay, it made no difference, i checked the ignition switch, it seemed perfectly functional. So now i am stuck on what else it can be.

The car starts perfectly fine when jumped, which in my mind is more confusing.

i'm starting to think the problem isn't necessarily the starter and thinking more about how the power seems to be inconsistent.

How was the battery checked? How old is the battery? If this battery is not OEM (replaced before), do you know what the CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) rating is? Do you know what the battery's reserve capacity is (usually stated in minutes)?

This sounds like a classic bad battery case to me. The lights dimming and then slowly recovering is a sure sign of a battery on its last legs, either from age or a bad cell in the battery. That fact that when jumped the car starts fine also points to a bad battery, or the very least a bad battery connection (corrosion on connector or battery post spun on you). A battery with reduced reserve capacity and/or not enough CCA rating for the car.

Guest peanut1986

How was the battery checked? How old is the battery? If this battery is not OEM (replaced before), do you know what the CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) rating is? Do you know what the battery's reserve capacity is (usually stated in minutes)?

This sounds like a classic bad battery case to me. The lights dimming and then slowly recovering is a sure sign of a battery on its last legs, either from age or a bad cell in the battery. That fact that when jumped the car starts fine also points to a bad battery, or the very least a bad battery connection (corrosion on connector or battery post spun on you). A battery with reduced reserve capacity and/or not enough CCA rating for the car.

The battery was checked at auto zone,, but i went ahead and bought a new one this morning when i got up and it fixed it all.. thanks

Guest restartlife

I have a similar problem.

The thing is I just replaced my battery a couple months ago. Now again it is giving the same problem. the minute I turn of the car the battery goes dead. but when I Jump start it works fine. the Cranking rating is 32 deg. Celcius. the temp outside is 24Deg Celcius and there is 72% Humidity.

My New Replaced Battery is now Dead. What else would I need to check. I have checked everything else as stated in the last two chain posted.

Any advice will help.

The battery was checked at auto zone,, but i went ahead and bought a new one this morning when i got up and it fixed it all.. thanks

I have a similar problem.

The thing is I just replaced my battery a couple months ago. Now again it is giving the same problem. the minute I turn of the car the battery goes dead. but when I Jump start it works fine. the Cranking rating is 32 deg. Celcius. the temp outside is 24Deg Celcius and there is 72% Humidity.

My New Replaced Battery is now Dead. What else would I need to check. I have checked everything else as stated in the last two chain posted.

Any advice will help.

First need to determine what killed the new battery, if it is truely dead. Have you ever had the alternator checked on the car? Possible that the alternator is not providing enough juice to charge the battery and run the car. This is especially true if the car sees little highway driving.

Problem keyed to high humidity levels is interesting. This almost points to an intermittent electrical connection at the starter or rest of the ignition system. If the car always starts with a jump, though, more likely a case of a bad connection at the battery itself (corroded terminals, loose or damaged terminals).

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)