Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By FNT, May 17, 2010

Hello corolland members!

I am new here to learn and ask questions about (my daughter's first used) 2000 corolla LE.

One question I have is how to remove the plastic steering column cover to get at the screws for the turn signal/headlight lever switch. (The switch is causing a rapid turn signal sound when signaling left only.)

I have removed a single phillips screw from the underside of the cover. But I can't seem to jostle the two halves of the cover apart.

Are there more screws holding the cover on that I can't see?

Thanks for your replies!

Edit:

I think I figured it out now. By turning the steering wheel, I can see two more screws. I will try removing them.

I am hoping to clean the electrical area of the left stick with electronic spray. This may solve the rapid signal problem which is only periodic.

• 149 posts

Are you sure you don't have a bad bulb ?? ....

ya I'd start by changing both front and rear turn signal bulbs. they can be burned out and still work when the broken filament moves around and periodically completes the circuit, like the headlight that you have to punch in order to get it to work for a while.

Here's the thing I didn't mention about the signal lights. They don't work when the signal flasher happens to be in rapid mode (while signaling left). They only come on when the flasher works normally or slower.

It seems that the flasher is getting more current than it needs, none of which makes it to the lights. Would one bad bulb cause all this commotion?

hmmm strange.....cant say that I know what the problem is exactly but a buck fifty at your local parts store isn't a bad gamble. Also check ebay for shop manuals for your car, they've been TONS of help for all three of my vehicles.

hmmm strange.....cant say that I know what the problem is exactly but a buck fifty at your local parts store isn't a bad gamble. Also check ebay for shop manuals for your car, they've been TONS of help for all three of my vehicles.

Yes I will have to look into getting a shop manual. Yeah you're probably right to first get a new bulb or two. It was the guy at Piston Ring that suggested it may be the switch in the column.

Thanks for all the replies!

Guest iLink

Hi FNT,

Any success with fixing the left signal lights issues. I have the exact same problem. I tried changing bulbs to no success. I intend to try changing the fuse next.

Hello corolland members!

I am new here to learn and ask questions about (my daughter's first used) 2000 corolla LE.

One question I have is how to remove the plastic steering column cover to get at the screws for the turn signal/headlight lever switch. (The switch is causing a rapid turn signal sound when signaling left only.)

I have removed a single phillips screw from the underside of the cover. But I can't seem to jostle the two halves of the cover apart.

Are there more screws holding the cover on that I can't see?

Thanks for your replies!

Edit:

I think I figured it out now. By turning the steering wheel, I can see two more screws. I will try removing them.

I am hoping to clean the electrical area of the left stick with electronic spray. This may solve the rapid signal problem which is only periodic.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)