Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

How To Change The Valve Cover For My 1999 Corolla Ve?

by Bad_dude, May 11, 2010

Bad_dude

I got a 1999 Corolla VE with 3 speed Automatic. I need to change the valve cover and I need some guidance as to which bolt and how many bolts total to remove to get to the valve cover. I also need some tricks if any to prevent leaks once the new one is installed. I bought a Felko valve cover kit from autozone ready to be replaced.

Thanks.

Valvecover gasket replacement is a piece of cake. The only additional item that they recommend is a little dallop of FIPG material right where the timing chain cover meets the head to prevent any chance of leaks around that area. Some do it, some skip this step - from what I've seen in both cases, to leaks where reported. You're more likely to get a leak around the timing chain tensioner than a leak at the seam where those components line up.

If I remeber correctly, should be 6 - 10mm bolts around the perimeter of the valvecover and two 10mm nuts at the front corners, there are also two 100m bolts on the top. Just check around the perimeter of the valvecover - pretty hard to miss the bolts/nuts holding it down. You may have to loosen the cable bracket on the side as well - should be pretty apparent when you look at it. Also have to pull the spark plug wires out of the way - note their location, just incase they come loose from the coil packs. Their length should help you avoid getting the firing order screwed up - but make notes/take pics as a precaution.

Plugs can be left in (they do not hold the valvecover down) - but I generally remove and replace them when it comes time to replace the valvecover gasket. Might also be a good time to check valve clearances once you have the cover off - if you are feeling adventurous.

Bad_dude

Valvecover gasket replacement is a piece of cake. The only additional item that they recommend is a little dallop of FIPG material right where the timing chain cover meets the head to prevent any chance of leaks around that area. Some do it, some skip this step - from what I've seen in both cases, to leaks where reported. You're more likely to get a leak around the timing chain tensioner than a leak at the seam where those components line up.

If I remeber correctly, should be 6 - 10mm bolts around the perimeter of the valvecover and two 10mm nuts at the front corners, there are also two 100m bolts on the top. Just check around the perimeter of the valvecover - pretty hard to miss the bolts/nuts holding it down. You may have to loosen the cable bracket on the side as well - should be pretty apparent when you look at it. Also have to pull the spark plug wires out of the way - note their location, just incase they come loose from the coil packs. Their length should help you avoid getting the firing order screwed up - but make notes/take pics as a precaution.

Plugs can be left in (they do not hold the valvecover down) - but I generally remove and replace them when it comes time to replace the valvecover gasket. Might also be a good time to check valve clearances once you have the cover off - if you are feeling adventurous.

Valve clearance? Is there a DIY some where I can refer to? I would need the feeler gauge right?

Thanks,

There should be one on the forum already - I believe I posted one some time ago. A copy of the procedure should still be in my photobucket account. Link is in my sig - just navigate to the valve adjustment album.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)