Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Transmission Oil Change In 1999 Corolla Ve Automatic.

By Bad_dude, May 10, 2010

Bad_dude

It's about 30000 miles since my last transmission oil change. The last time, which was 30000 miles ago, the pan was dropped, clean and fluid refilled. Since I want to do it myself this time, could I just drain and fill and NOT drop the pan since I don't see any leak? Which type fluid should I used? Does the new fluid have to be Toyota brand? Does this car just have one plug and fill or does it need differential oil change as well? What size and type of tool I need to take the drain plug nut off?

Thanks,

Do you know if it is a 3-speed auto or 4-speed automatic? 4-speeds have a single drain plug, and refill from the transaxle dipstick tube. 3-speeds have separate drain plugs for the transaxle and differential - fill for the transaxle is the transaxle dipstick tube, differential has a fill plug (midway up transaxle case) right above the differential drain plug - almost right by the rear motor mount.

Plain old Dexron II/III ATF is the fluid of choice here. Might be harder to find DII/DIII ATF fluid, newer D6 ATF is supposed to be fully compatible, but I haven't checked on that myself. Size of the plugs and torque rating, I can't remember off the top of my head - I'll check later on.

• 320 posts

I believe the main difference between new and old fluids is that the newer ones have a synthetic base, and have higher longevity and range; which isn't to say that the older ones aren't better in some applications, but I've heard a lot of anecdotal stories about shifting improvements with the newer "universal" fluids that are rated for Dexron AND newer specs.

Bad_dude

Do you know if it is a 3-speed auto or 4-speed automatic? 4-speeds have a single drain plug, and refill from the transaxle dipstick tube. 3-speeds have separate drain plugs for the transaxle and differential - fill for the transaxle is the transaxle dipstick tube, differential has a fill plug (midway up transaxle case) right above the differential drain plug - almost right by the rear motor mount.

Plain old Dexron II/III ATF is the fluid of choice here. Might be harder to find DII/DIII ATF fluid, newer D6 ATF is supposed to be fully compatible, but I haven't checked on that myself. Size of the plugs and torque rating, I can't remember off the top of my head - I'll check later on.

It's a 3 speed.

I believe the main difference between new and old fluids is that the newer ones have a synthetic base, and have higher longevity and range; which isn't to say that the older ones aren't better in some applications, but I've heard a lot of anecdotal stories about shifting improvements with the newer "universal" fluids that are rated for Dexron AND newer specs.

Good point, I've heard of that as well. Just haven't taken the plunge yet as I can still get DII/DIII fluid pretty easily in both conventional and synthetic makeup. Maybe I'll give D-6 a try, once hte price starts to drop a bit on them. Couple of places have them running between $6-$8 per quart, which came down from a high of almost $11-$12 per quart last year.

Dexron VI has a slightly lower viscosity than Dex III, but with an improved additive package that helps keep it more shear-resistant. This, along with having a synthetic base for greater resistance to oxidation, allows longer change intervals.

GM claims D6 is backward compatible with all previous flavours of Dexron, but some non-GM owners have reported shift performance changes...not to say D6 is bad, just that you may find a different feel versus DIII. When I had the fluid changed in my 2001 GMC Safari work van, the dealer put in D6 and I don't notice any difference at all.

Bad_dude

I found a good transmission only place that will drop the pan and change the fluid for only $35. Since this is a corolla, I will take it to them. I have to do my Honda 1990 Accord as they don't have Honda fluid.

Thanks,

Wow - $35 - that's pretty cheap.

• 149 posts

I had a '93 Accord and it took Dex3, nothing special.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)