Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2003 Corolla Suspension

Guest newzev

My 2003 Corolla after the first two yrs of ownerships started giving me a bumpy ride. In year three Toyota replaced the front struts for free. In year four, outside the warranty, a local mechanic replaced the front struts again with Monroe Sensatracs. Each time the front struts were change it slightly improved the ride but within a few weeks the ride became bumpy and the car swayed side to side after each bump. I was told to replace the tires and that improved the ride for a few weeks and then it went back to a lousy bumpy swaying side to side ride. I was almost ready to dump the car as I could not stand the ride.

I had a knowledgeable mechanic, who worked from his house, check out the car. He said I need new struts, mounts and stabilizer links, but make sure to get original parts as it will make a real difference. I would have had this mechanic do the work but found out under my Geico Mechanical Breakdown Insurance it was covered , but only if I used a licensed auto repair show.. I just had to pay the 250.00 deductible.

So I used a local repair shop with a good reputation that I had used before. I made it very clear I wanted original parts. So the shop contacted GEICO who came down and inspected the car and agreed that the work needed to be done. It was agreed by the mechanic and GEICO that I would get new Toyota parts. While the receipt said for new next to each part it did not say Toyota parts.

I asked the owner who told both me and my wife the new parts were new original Toyota replacement parts.

Anyway, the mechanic who worked on the side was nice enough to check the work and said everything was done and the car rode well, except that the replacement parts were aftermarket parts and not Toyota parts.

He was not 100% sure but he said that normally Toyota mounts and struts have Toyota markings on them, and there were no brand marks of any kind on any of the parts, he was unsure if the Toyota stabilizer links mounts had Toyota markings he said the nuts used to attach the links were not the type found on Toyota parts. He was pretty confident these were not Toyota parts.

The car now rides nicely, but I feel taken if the local repair shop used after market parts instead of the agreed upon new Toyota replacement parts. While I only paid $250.00 and am happy with the ride, the bill was for over $1300.00 including a wheel alignment.

Any recommendations at this point? The receipt indicates after each part but it does not say Toyota next to each part, but there was a very agreement Toyota parts would be used. I think my only recourse is to ask GEICO to reinspect the car, and protest I did not receive the agreed upon parts. I am not 100% sure I am right. Maybe I should ask Toyota to show me replacement parts.

So this is a delicate situation. Perhaps I should just shut up as my car is running nicely. But I hate when someone gives me an inferior product when the original parts were promised.

What do you folks recommend?

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe take the car to a Toyota dealership and see if they can confirm the Toyotaness of the parts.

Not all Toyota OEM parts have a Toyota stamp or logo on them, some aftermarket parts are used sold as OEM Toyota. Good example are the struts - OEM Toyota are made by KYB. Like Bitter mentioned, take it to a dealership along with the work order - they can work backwards and check the authenticity of the parts.

I had a similar event some years ago. In that situation, I asked for all the old parts back and placed inside the "new" parts box for transportation purposes. That way, I get old parts back (make sure that they did the work) and get traceable part numbers on the boxes the other parts came in.

• 320 posts

Even when OEMs buy from suppliers like KYB, their parts can have different specs than the aftermarket. One company that uses Monroe shocks had seven different OEM stock numbers for a line of cars (based on trim and engine and such) - Monroe had one.

Guest newzev

My compliments to Fishexpo101 for being assertive enough to ask for the old parts back in new parts boxes. If I had done this there would have been no confusion about this matter.

I once had a mechanic who did that without asking, unless the mechanic received a discount for returning the old part. I wish all mechanics did this.

In any case, with this particular mechanic , I think he would feel insulted if I did this. I don't like to piss off someone working on my car, and of course I don't like to be taken advantage of as well.

Regarding a visit to the dealer, I will take the car along with the invoice (Geico said the numbers on the invoice indicate that original Toyota parts were supposed to be used) to a Toyota parts department. I'm not sure someone would come out from behind the desk to look under the car to verify the equipment I received. I will give it a try nonetheless, and get back to you.

Thanks for your advice!!!!!!!!!!!

friendly_jacek

If it was me, I would be happy the car rides well and someone else paid the bill.

BTW, what was wrong with the suspension in the first place?

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)