Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

1998 Corolla Front Non Driver Door Does Not Open

Guest hyd123

Hi All,

I am new to the forum. My 1998 corolla runs fine but car door got struck. I cannot open from interior or exterior knobs. Even the door lock on that side does not work. It is always locked and i cannot move to unlocked position manually. Can i fix the problem myself? I took to some repair shop and he needs $200 for just analyzing the problem.

Sounds like the latch is stuck or binding on you. IF you tug on the door handles (inside or outside) and feel little resistance, the control arm probably fell off as well.

Only way to get to this is to pull the interior door panel off to get to the lock assembly. The problem with that - since the door is closed, you cannot remove the panel. Couple ways to approach this - keep messing with the door lock and hopefully it will unlock, so that you can get the door panel off and fix it. If the control rod is still attached - could try to slim-jim the door, but since you mentioned that the manual lock doesn't work - this is unlikely to help. Final option is to cut the metal by the door - gain access from the outside of the door. A locksmith can just drill a couple of holes to get to the lock, a DIYer would take a little doing to get to it.

Guest Rolla97

i have the same issue on my 97 corolla and i've had the same issue on a 93 corolla clearly this car was not designed with Canadian winters in mind!

i have scraped the 93 corolla but i was thinking of caking the front fender off to get to the hinge and possibly removing it to take the door off altogether. i'm not a big fan of drilling holes into the door; it's gonna cost to fix it afterworlds...

seeing as I've had the same issue on two different 7th Gen corollas i assume this is a common problem does anyone else care to comment on this maybe propose a better solution?

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)