Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2000 Corolla - Interior Door Lever

By misterken, April 10, 2010

Help!

Just took my wife for her birthday and broke her door handle! default_sad

It's the lever that you pull on to open the door from the inside of the car. So as of the moment, the door will not open unless you roll down the window and pull on the exterior door handle.

Does anyone know where I can find a replacement lever?

Here's a picture of it: Door Lever

Thanks.

Ken

Make a search on ebay. I have bought several of those in the past for my 2000 also. They ran me about $15 per piece. Very easy to replace yourself.

If you need instructions, let me know.

V

Thanks! Found it on eBay pretty easily.

Do I have to take the whole door panel off? Or is it as easy as just unscrewing the handle, disconnecting the hard wire and connecting it back up and closing it back up?

That's right. No need to take the entire door panel off. Remove screw from the handle, pull handle out, disconnect metal cable, install new handle, lock the metal cable, and put the screw back on. You're done.

Awesome! Thanks again!

That's right. No need to take the entire door panel off. Remove screw from the handle, pull handle out, disconnect metal cable, install new handle, lock the metal cable, and put the screw back on. You're done.

I've replaced mine..I think ALL 8th gen interior handles break eventually.

Instead of buying a replacement, I just swapped my rear door one with the front

2 important notes when doing this:

1. After you've removed the screw, slide the entire unit forward then GENTLY pull it

away from the door panel. It will not come completely out since its still attached to the rod.

2. After you've slid it forward and pulled it out a little, you'll see a white plastic fastener that

holds the hooked end of the door rod to the handle hole. Use needle nose pliers or hemostat and lift the fastener away

from the rod to unfasten it from the rod. It will pull away like a hinge.

After you've unclipped it, you'll be able to take the end of the rod out from handle.

Here's some helpful pics from a DIY on door panel replacement, which includes removing the

interior handle-

http://www.taimelwillhaden.com/2009/03/how-to-replace-exterior-door-handle-on.html

Let us know how it went.

Guest Shaz

That is certainly consistent with our experience.. The inside door handles on our 98 Corolla are incredibly flimsy--they seem to break if you so much as look at them the wrong way! We just had to replace the one on the driver's side for the SECOND time--and we've had the danged car less for than 3 years! default_blink

The door handle on the passenger side is gimpy as well. As of now, it still works, but it sort of flops around like it's not anchored properly. We're definitely going to have to replace it--it's just a question of whether to go ahead and get it over with or push our luck and see how long we can get by before it breaks completely. So far, we're going for option 2. default_tongue

I find the whole thing to he really weird. I don't recall EVER having to replace a door handle on ANY car I've ever owned before this, but this car seems to go through them right and left (pun intended). I'm not sure what's causing this, but I feel like there has to be something wrong with the design or the construction or both. I don't think ANY component on a car should break this easily or this much!

That is certainly consistent with our experience.. The inside door handles on our 98 Corolla are incredibly flimsy--they seem to break if you so much as look at them the wrong way! We just had to replace the one on the driver's side for the SECOND time--and we've had the danged car less for than 3 years! default_blink

The door handle on the passenger side is gimpy as well. As of now, it still works, but it sort of flops around like it's not anchored properly. We're definitely going to have to replace it--it's just a question of whether to go ahead and get it over with or push our luck and see how long we can get by before it breaks completely. So far, we're going for option 2. default_tongue

I find the whole thing to he really weird. I don't recall EVER having to replace a door handle on ANY car I've ever owned before this, but this car seems to go through them right and left (pun intended). I'm not sure what's causing this, but I feel like there has to be something wrong with the design or the construction or both. I don't think ANY component on a car should break this easily or this much!

I was wondering why my Toyota factory extended warranty doesn't cover door handles.

These cars garaged outdoors? Myself and my son, pretty much manhandle the car and fortunately haven't run into this broken door handle phenomenon. Wondering if there was a manufacturing change from the first half 8th gen Corollas to the later half.

Yup. Same problem here.98 corolla and so far i replaced two handles on the front drivers side

(I broke one and my wife the other) one from the front passenger and im missing both on the rear. There is no need for me to fix em since its just me n the wife. default_smile also i have a couple of friends that have had the same issue.

No big deal thou. Now remember my name if u dare to break the ones on the rear doors (outside)

Now thats a pain in the... if its ur first time. Lol

Not hard to replace I replaced all four of mine default_sad

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)