Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Vvti In A Non-Vvti

By Sokudo, April 8, 2010

Driving a 98, I'm pretty sure the first owner either took crap care of it, or it sat too long somewhere, because I burn oil like crazy. I'm trying some AutoRX to see if it cleans out, but if my replacement of the speedometer cluster takes care of my left signal/defrost problem, I'm going to assume the car has more miles than stated. (I bought it with 70,000 on the odometer; if the cluster was in fact replaced, I doubt they swapped ODs.) So I'm mulling over the idea of replacing the engine.

My question is, I know you can update the engine from non-VVti to a newer engine with it, but how many years are useable? I saw at toyota nation that someone used an 07 in their 01, but what's the cutoff year? Are the engines about the same size, and can they be swapped without fabrication to make them fit?

Also, I want to make sure I understand: when you do this, you need the engine, the electrical wiring, and the ECU, but what else is there? I'm looking at swapping from a new Corolla, so I'm not sure if fish's explanation here still fits, as that was between two entirely different car companies and models?

The 1ZZ-FE VVTi and non-VVTi are interchangeable to an extent. Depends on if you want to retain VVTi functionality or not. The bottom end, engine block, pistons, crank, rods, etc are identical between the various years. Most of the changes (non-direct swap) were kept to the sensors, some encoding plates, camshafts, and electronics. Mounting wise, they will all fit.

Since you mentioned ECU - sounds like you want to upgrade to VVTi, in that case - for an 8th gen car it is preferred to stick within the 8th gen line (2000-2002 1ZZ-FE w/VVTi). You can go to the 2003-2004 1ZZ-FE, but keep in mind that the camshafts are slightly different and the ECM had a big change (looks at more sensors). 2005+ 1ZZ-FE switched to DBW throttlebody and use an AFR sensor instead of an O2 sensor.

EVAP stuff - you should be OK, there was some changes under the hood for EVAP related components (i.e., the EVAP test point as removed in the 2005+ model years) - but if I understand how the emissions rules, as long as the engine you awap in had the same or better emissions standards, it will be a legal swap.

The 1ZZ-FE VVTi and non-VVTi are interchangeable to an extent. Depends on if you want to retain VVTi functionality or not. The bottom end, engine block, pistons, crank, rods, etc are identical between the various years. Most of the changes (non-direct swap) were kept to the sensors, some encoding plates, camshafts, and electronics. Mounting wise, they will all fit.

Since you mentioned ECU - sounds like you want to upgrade to VVTi, in that case - for an 8th gen car it is preferred to stick within the 8th gen line (2000-2002 1ZZ-FE w/VVTi). You can go to the 2003-2004 1ZZ-FE, but keep in mind that the camshafts are slightly different and the ECM had a big change (looks at more sensors). 2005+ 1ZZ-FE switched to DBW throttlebody and use an AFR sensor instead of an O2 sensor.

EVAP stuff - you should be OK, there was some changes under the hood for EVAP related components (i.e., the EVAP test point as removed in the 2005+ model years) - but if I understand how the emissions rules, as long as the engine you awap in had the same or better emissions standards, it will be a legal swap.

Well, I wasn't sure if I HAD to upgrade to VVTi, but I guess if I don't, what do I do then? My thing is, I'm mostly wondering if I can find a newer engine from a newer Corolla without having to do to much modification to swap.VVTi isn't something I really need, I was just want an engine that isn't going to have that damn oil burning problem, and I was figuring a newer model might also be in better condition.

In that case - you can either move your top end stuff over to a newer 1ZZ-FE block - that will get you the better bottome end and likely fix the oil consumption (assuming it is from stuck piston rings). Wiring and ECM, intake and exhaust will be the same. Swapping between years, unfortunately, will be some work involved. Unless you want to find a good condition and drop in a 1998-1999 engine - I'd look for a newer one with less mileage and spend some time moving the stuff between the engines.

There is an excellent build progress on TN, that someone has taken great pains to document nearly step by step - the process to swap a 9th gen engine into an 8th gen Corolla. He swapped over parts from his older engine to the newer one, effectively eliminating VVTi - but making his existing computer, wiring, intake and exhaust still work. No issues with mounting the engine, some parts have changed between the 1998-1999 and the 2006-2007? model year engine he swapped in, but he was able to make it work.

In that case - you can either move your top end stuff over to a newer 1ZZ-FE block - that will get you the better bottome end and likely fix the oil consumption (assuming it is from stuck piston rings). Wiring and ECM, intake and exhaust will be the same. Swapping between years, unfortunately, will be some work involved. Unless you want to find a good condition and drop in a 1998-1999 engine - I'd look for a newer one with less mileage and spend some time moving the stuff between the engines.

There is an excellent build progress on TN, that someone has taken great pains to document nearly step by step - the process to swap a 9th gen engine into an 8th gen Corolla. He swapped over parts from his older engine to the newer one, effectively eliminating VVTi - but making his existing computer, wiring, intake and exhaust still work. No issues with mounting the engine, some parts have changed between the 1998-1999 and the 2006-2007? model year engine he swapped in, but he was able to make it work.

What about a comparable JDM engine? Like these models? Are they a direct swap?

That links is to a 4AGE 20V - that is not a direct swap for your 1ZZ-FE. Even if you could find a JDM 1ZZ-FE w/o VVTi - keep in mind the emission standards are different overseas. Depending on where you live at, this may automatically be grounds for emissions failure or denied registration.

That links is to a 4AGE 2V - that is not a direct swap for your 1ZZ-FE. Even if you could find a JDM 1ZZ-FE w/o VVTi - keep in mind the emission standards are different overseas. Depending on where you live at, this may automatically be grounds for emissions failure or denied registration.

That sucks. So I guess my options are: A, find a better condition 98-99 (fat chance), B, find a newer engine and either swap over everything for VVTi, or just swap what's needed to make it worth without, or C, pray my engine cleans up after some AutoRX and stops burning so much oil.default_dry Ok. Guess that's what I've got.

Would the transmissions likewise be interchangable between a Non-VVTI & a VVTI engine?

Would the transmissions likewise be interchangable between a Non-VVTI & a VVTI engine?
Short answer - Yes. Would be best to stay with the same transaxle type, be it 3-speed automatic, 4-speed automatic, or 5-speed manual. There are electrical connections that need to be made with the 4-speed transaxle, that would make it a harder swap in a car that originally had a 3-speed. Even between the 3-speed and 5-speed manual, you have to rewire the ECM with a resistor to keep it from setting a CEL because it was expecting a 3-speed auto.

Topic List