Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Rear Brake Drum Stuck

Guest TheNoof

07 corolla le. I am putting new shoes on my rear brakes the drum did not come off. I tried to back off the shoes by turning the adjusting star but went the wrong way. now I can’t turn it the other way it looks like the teeth on the star are curved in so when I try to go the other direction the tool just slips off help please.

brad

How are you trying to turn the star adjuster? Using two screwdrivers? One to pull the lever bar away from the star wheel and the other to rotate the star wheel (pry the wheel upward to close up the adjuster)? Stupid question, but I got to ask - you made sure the parking brake was off?

Depending on how tight the drum is to the shoes - and if you were set of replacing the shoes anyways and how fresh set of brake hardware - just press the drum off (two little threaded holes in the face of the drum, they are metric, don't have the size off the top of my head - but it is the same as the spare tire hold-down nut.) It will likely pull everything off the drum, so do this as a last result. Best case - pressing the drum off will just gouge the shoes, worst case - you pull all the hardware off (spring hold down and cups, star adjuster, etc. and possibly rip the boots on the wheel cylinder).

For an 2007 Corolla, pretty hard to believe that the rear shoes are gone unless you were using the parking brake to slow the car down or accidentaly had the parking brake up and glazed the shoes. Normally, those shoes are good for 100K+ miles. I was on my third set of front brake pads before I looked at the rear drums. I changed them at around 100K miles, but they still had quite a bit of life left in them. At first, I thought the shoes were touching, but it ended being the drum frozen to the hub. Some PB Blaster and a couple of good whacks with a mini-sledge loosened it up for me.

Guest TheNoof

It has about 114k miles on it no I was not using two screwdrivers I didn’t know there was a bar to move what does it look like can you see it through the adjusting hole?

Brad

Yup, you can see it though the inspection holes. There is a bar almost immediately infront of the star adjuster - just use another screwdriver to push it away from the star wheel, so that you can spin it the other way. After you loosen up the star adjuster, give the drum a couple of whacks with a rubber mallet to make sure the shoes pull away from the drum.

Guest guitarlover

That was very helpful,

Thanks a lot for sharing.

Topic List