Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2006 Corolla S Front Brake And Serpentine Belt

Guest newways

Thanks in advance for your knowledge. I've done a couple searches that turned up nothing.

the question I have is:

Are there any special tools required to replace the serpentine belt and front brake pads and rotors on an '06 corolla s?

I've picked up here and there that the belt requires a special tool to loose the tension on the belt but haven't found where I can get one or if there's a 'backyard substitute.'

Lastly, what is the reason for the different size belts for 2006 models. EXE: A certain online parts catalog offers two different size serpentine belts for the 2006 corolla s with AC...Effective Length 74" / Outside Length 74.75" AND Effective Length 76.25" / Outside Length 77".

Which one do I need.

Unfortunately, it's Sunday and the local dealer is closed.

all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

New

Thanks in advance for your knowledge. I've done a couple searches that turned up nothing.

the question I have is:

Are there any special tools required to replace the serpentine belt and front brake pads and rotors on an '06 corolla s?

I've picked up here and there that the belt requires a special tool to loose the tension on the belt but haven't found where I can get one or if there's a 'backyard substitute.'

Lastly, what is the reason for the different size belts for 2006 models. EXE: A certain online parts catalog offers two different size serpentine belts for the 2006 corolla s with AC...Effective Length 74" / Outside Length 74.75" AND Effective Length 76.25" / Outside Length 77".

Which one do I need.

Unfortunately, it's Sunday and the local dealer is closed.

all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

New

If it has a/c get the one listed for a/c, but on my 98 the one without a/c is shorter and they don't even stock it at Toyota. I was also told to retract the tensioner slowly! Toyota has Bando, but I got a Goodyear at AutoZone for half the price.

Don't need any special tools for the job - if you have a middle ground, metric socket set - you should be golden. The only thing I could recommend is a cheater bar for the serpentine belt tensioner. Takes a good amount of force, to do this job. If you have a second set of hands helping - that would probably work the best. By yourself - you'll need all the leverage you can get. Taking off the belt is easy - putting it back on, while wrestling with the tensioner - that could take a bit of work.

As far a I've seen for part numbers - everyting seem to point at a 74" belt for A/C on a 9th gen Corolla with a 1ZZ-FE. The 77" long belt sounds like the one for the Corolla XRS with the 2ZZ-GE engine.

As for brakes - pads and the caliper and easy enough to deal with. The rotor is held in place with a torque plate (bracket that holds the caliper over the rotor). That has some pretty decently sized bolts holding it on - would definitely need a breaker bar to get those loose. Make sure to have some penetrating lube on hnad to pre-soak the bolts prior to removing them - will help alot. PB Blaster is my personal choice - works a lot better than WD-40. Make sure to have some brake cleaner on hand as well - want to hose everything down to avoid accidentally inhaling brake dust when you work on the brakes. Plus you'll need it to wash down the new rotors before you intall them. Disc brake quiet (optional) and high temperature disc brake grease is also recommended to have on hand. To lube the slide pins and replace any grease cleaned off from the shims.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)