Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Antifreeze Smell In 2003 Corolla

by friendly_jacek, February 22, 2010

friendly_jacek

From time to time I smell vaporized antifreeze while driving slowly or stopped at lights. It's the characteristic sweet smell that I know well, as I had Subaru with the external leak gasket issue (fixed by Subaru by stop-leak). I checked the engine a few times and I see no sign of leaks and coolant level is fairly steady. BTW, oil level and color is fine.

Any pointers on dealing on slow coolant leaks? Is one stop-leak product better than other?

From time to time I smell vaporized antifreeze while driving slowly or stopped at lights. It's the characteristic sweet smell that I know well, as I had Subaru with the external leak gasket issue (fixed by Subaru by stop-leak). I checked the engine a few times and I see no sign of leaks and coolant level is fairly steady. BTW, oil level and color is fine.

Any pointers on dealing on slow coolant leaks? Is one stop-leak product better than other?

water pump leak ??

Could be coolant dripping slowly from the weep hole on the waterpump - I'd check for the telltale crusty pink-white residue on the bottom of the waterpump or close to that area. Could also be coolant being forced back into the reservoir tank - there is a vent there that might be splashing underhood components with coolant. Double check the lines running to the block and the throttle body as well. Check the ECT switch on the thermostat housing, make sure it is on tight, double check the crinps on the top of the radiator tank - making sure those haven't opened up on you.

I get the same thing with my 2003 Matrix XRS - can't see anything that looks like a coolant leak, even a slow one. Coolant levels are fine, UOAs are clear of any coolant, wear levels are in check. I don't get it all the time either - probably every other week or sometimes could be months before I catch a whiff of coolant.

I was considering a dye check - add some solution to the radiator and check it every couple of days until I see the leak, if there is one. But haven't gotten around to do that. Still have a leaky timing tensioner to deal with on the Corolla - so when time permits, I might try the dye check.

friendly_jacek

Thanks fish and bhp. I will check as soon as my injury will allow me to do so.

Had the same problem with my 03' starting in 05'. I would get a whiff of antifreeze, but could find no leaks. I did have to add about a half of a cup of coolant every 12 months. I had it to the dealer in 08' and they noticed a very minor leak from the weep hole on the water pump. I also had an 04' Matrix that leaked antifreeze from the weep hole, but it actually was enough to leave a spot on the ground. It started around 20,000 miles and was covered under warranty. Like the other post said, look for the tell tale pink residue.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)