Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Corolla 2005 Ce Vibration At Any Speed

by x123, January 18, 2010

Bought a used automatic 05 CE that has 65k miles. The wheel was vibrating very much and was worst at high speeds. I replaced all 4 tires with new ones and got a wheel alignment. The big vibration went away but still feel some kind of vibration at all speeds depending on the road. The vibration gets worst when the road is unven and cruising highway speeds. It seems that there is always some kind of vibration while driving.

Anybody why?

Thanks

friendly_jacek

Look for bent or defective wheels or worn suspension parts.

Look for bent or defective wheels or worn suspension parts.

Usually vibration after new tires and balancing is hard to pinpoint especially if it is early stage. You are right that worn suspension parts can be the problem.

I should probably take it to the dealer but trying to see if anybody had the same problem.

Thanks

friendly_jacek

BTW, does the vibration go away after driving say 10 miles? If so, new tires could be flatspotting.

BTW, does the vibration go away after driving say 10 miles? If so, new tires could be flatspotting.

The vibration is there all the time at all speeds except when the car is in Parking. The vibration gets very bad when certain distance in the highway is uneven.

Thanks

Replaced one of the wheels but the vibration still there. Will take it in for another check.

The vibration is there all the time at all speeds except when the car is in Parking. The vibration gets very bad when certain distance in the highway is uneven.

Thanks

I replaced the two struts + structs mounts and still have a wheel bad vibration after 70 miles. Also, the mechanic lifted the car up and run it at 75 and the vibration was there. He noticed the passenger side drive shaft vibrating. He replaced the shaft but was worst. He replaced it with another one and still does it. He also said that there is more looseness where the drive shaft goes into the tranmission. He said it may be the part where the axle goes into the tranmission due to having more looseness than the other side.

Anybody had any experience with driveshaft going into the tranmission? Can looseness there cause vribrations or may be the 2nd shaft is also bad?

Thanks

Replaced one of the wheels but the vibration still there. Will take it in for another check.

Thanks

Axle is supposed to have some movement in it. Since it is the passenger side axle, did the mechanic check that the axle damper is in good shape. Did the mechanic verify it wasn't a wheel/tire issue? Not a hub issue?

Because it got worse when he replaced the axle, that is your clue. What exactly did he replace? The whole drive shaft, include a new axle damper? IMO, sounds like you need to find another mechanic.

The tires were balanced multiple times and even replaced with back ones and know the rims are fine too. I also coasted down the highway 75 miles and shifted into neutral and the vibration was there. I know from this that is something that rotates and is not the engine or tranmission being bad.

The mechanic verified that there is no vibration coming from the tire side parts. He said that he did see an above normal losseness from the side where the drive shaft going into the tranny. The new drive shaft is a rebuilt one and is from the tire to the tranny. There is no noise coming out from the car. Can the 2nd drive shaft be bad too? Would a lot of looseness where the shaft goes into the tranmisson cause vibration that is like wheels not being balanced?

Thanks

friendly_jacek

Sorry to say it but sounds like a big headache. I can see why someone sold the car. Did you test drive it before buying?

Yes, I did test drive it and noticed the vibration. However, I thought with new set of tires and wheel balance, the vibration would go away. Never had any issues with a car like this before. Next time I'll know better. I'll probably wait so see if something shows up.

Thanks

friendly_jacek

One thing I learned by buying a couple of used cars is if you notice something during a test drive is usually a tip of the iceberg and an expensive headache. This is why the last cars I drive were bought brand new.

Took the car to a tranmission shop and said the tranmission looks good including the drive shafts. He did see the vibration at 75 but does not see anything out of the extra ordinary to cause the vibration.

I will probably wait to see if the problem shows up.

Thanks

• 54 posts

Mine's the same way.. took it to a tire shop and they told me the inner tie rod ends were starting to get worn. I'm planning to replace those this summer and have it aligned... I'll keep you posted. Needs engine mounts, too... the 1zz looks like it's sitting a little crooked in there.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)