Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2005 Corolla Check Engine Light On

Guest seankana

Help. My 2005 Corolla's check engine light came on suddenly. I don't know what caused it, but there are several possible factors, and I'd like to know which is most likely (by the way, the car has about 80000 miles on it and has been maintained pretty regularly):

1) dirty engine air filter--this has needed to be replaced for some time

2) I redlined it briefly a couple of times, in park, after the engine had been warmed up (Indeed, after I'd driven about 15 miles) Then I read in the manual that allowing the needle to go into the red could cause severe engine damage--how do I tell?

3) something in the fuel system--my gas pipe doesn't have that metal flap on it, having been sucked in a long time ago--the mechanics said this is no problem--I make sure the gas cap is on, at least 3-4 clicks

Any ideas?

You should take it to Autozone and have them pull the trouble code. Once you know that, it will be easier to diagnose. The light comes on for many different reasons.

Help. My 2005 Corolla's check engine light came on suddenly. I don't know what caused it, but there are several possible factors, and I'd like to know which is most likely (by the way, the car has about 80000 miles on it and has been maintained pretty regularly):

2) I redlined it briefly a couple of times, in park, after the engine had been warmed up (Indeed, after I'd driven about 15 miles) Then I read in the manual that allowing the needle to go into the red could cause severe engine damage--how do I tell?

3) something in the fuel system--my gas pipe doesn't have that metal flap on it, having been sucked in a long time ago--the mechanics said this is no problem--I make sure the gas cap is on, at least 3-4 clicks

Any ideas?

You should take it to Autozone and have them pull the trouble code. Once you know that, it will be easier to diagnose. The light comes on for many different reasons.

Any ideas?

A trouble code would point us in the right direction.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)