Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Charging Time

By ElvisPresley, January 4, 2010

2005 corolla, oem delco battery (550 cca). Very cold out. Battery had no charge and may be frozen. Brought it inside to thaw. How long to charge using a 1 amp trickle charger? My smart charger isn't smart (it never worked--it always says the battery is full)

Could not calculate because i could not find the battery capacity anywhere.

Also, will my extended toyota "platinum" warranty cover the battery in case it's bad?

thanks

i have a two amp charger i could use as well

Hard to say exactly, as it depends if the battery is completely "dead" or not. If it is, may need to give it a kick at 10A to start the charging process. I've charged car batteries about 6-8 hours in 2A mode without issues, deep cycles will need to run much longer. I wouldn't exceed more than 10-12 hours max at 2A. Hard to calculate from the battery capacity, as you also need to know the charge profile, chemical stability / reaction time, age, charge/discharge history, TCO, etc. - one battery might be charged completely in a few hours at 2A, another might need overnight.

For the 1A mode, not sure if that will be enough juice to trickle charge the battery, unless you have a smart charger. Had one that could drop to 500mA when fully charged, but even that couldn't maintain a charge on a used battery.

If the battery is covered, should be spelled out in the warranty. Otherwise, you'll have to go on the Delco/Delphi battery warranty. I know on both my cars - they both used a Delphi Freedom battery with a 36 month warranty (12 months replacement, 24 month pro-rated).

Topic List