Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Buying A Snowblower?

By K_Watson, December 31, 2009

K_Watson

I just bought my Dad a new snowblower after reading reviews, shopping, and watching them in action on YouTube. I finally settled on a White by MTD single stage with an American made 5.5 HP Tecumseh Snow King Motor.

There is a disturbing trend with new snowblowers. Now that Tecumseh is no longer making engines, and Briggs is hurting, they are being made with Chinese built "Honda-clone" 4-stroke engines. Some of you may have seen them on go-carts or ATV's. If you have worked with them you know how hard it is to get parts in a pinch.

Be careful what you buy. Most single stage blowers at Lowe's, Sears, Menard's, Ace, ect. from brands like MTD, Craftsman, Troy-bilt, Ariens made "Sno-Tek" models, and even the new low-end Toro 180's have these Chinese engines. A lot of inexpensive two-stage blowers have them too.

You can tell which ones have the knock off engines because they don't say anywhere what brand engine they have, and there is a shiny valve cover that says "OHV" on it.

If you go somewhere that has the Chinese engined blowers ask if they have any of "last years model" left. And check whats in the box before you leave.

Oh, and some Briggs motors sold here are made in China now too.

Not saying you will have trouble, but beware. If you do buy one pay attention to the cleanliness of the oil and quality/age of the gas.

Finally, get a unit with more than enough power, that way if you get a heavy snowfall you are still in good shape.

Electric or 3 - 3.5 HP two-stroke gas single stage units are only good for a few inches of any kind of snow. If you normally get more than 4 inches, "wet" or "dry", in a good snowfall get a unit with 5 or more horsepower, especially if your snow is "wet". If you regularly see 6 or more inches in a good snowfall consider a two stage blower.

For example, I live in Indy where 3 to 6+ inches in not uncommon, and I have a 5 HP single stage unit. That is plenty for my needs. My grandparents live in Michigan, and get lake effect snow, they have a 10+ HP two stage. My single stage would be useless there, and their's would be overkill here.

Thanks for the tip, good to know.

i'm going to disagree that a 3hp single stage snow thrower can't handle more than a couple inches. i have a toro cr20e that was my parents (they moved south, no need)...i've ran that thing through snow 10 inches or more deep, wet, powder, even used it to clear mounds of slush left by the snow plows at the end of the driveway, the stuff you can barely shovel because it weighs a TON. once the carb was cleaned up and a new diaphragm installed and everything was properly adjusted (used colortune and my ear) nothing can stop it. it fires up every year and once the carb is adjusted for that season its fine and starts on the 2nd or 3rd pull each time no matter how cold. just powers through it all! most 2 and 4 stroke units are tuned WAY too rich from the factory and now are non adjustable.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v335/huzudra/avatar/DSC05858Large.jpg

Those little old Toros are quite a machine. The Lawnboy version not as great.

Jay in MA

i'm going to disagree that a 3hp single stage snow thrower can't handle more than a couple inches. i have a toro cr20e that was my parents (they moved south, no need)...i've ran that thing through snow 10 inches or more deep, wet, powder, even used it to clear mounds of slush left by the snow plows at the end of the driveway, the stuff you can barely shovel because it weighs a TON. once the carb was cleaned up and a new diaphragm installed and everything was properly adjusted (used colortune and my ear) nothing can stop it. it fires up every year and once the carb is adjusted for that season its fine and starts on the 2nd or 3rd pull each time no matter how cold. just powers through it all! most 2 and 4 stroke units are tuned WAY too rich from the factory and now are non adjustable.

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v335/huzudra/avatar/DSC05858Large.jpg

Topic List: Go to Everything Else