Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Stutter off idle ?

Guest idtoyota, September 11, 2003

Guest idtoyota

Just bought a used 2000 Corolla CE with the 1.8 ltr. and 63K. Wife's been driving for about a month and now the car seems to have developed a stutter when the throttle is pushed directly down from a dead stop (or idle). Once above an idle it seems to be ok, but will cough every time from a idle especially when cold. Any suggestions?

Also the car seems to have a fair amount of road noise that I initially attributed to the tires (about 45% tread left). I drove the car for the first time other than around the block the other day and tried to isolate the noise. There appears to be a slight vibration felt in the steering wheel and the noise appears to be more coming from the right front tire area rather than all four wheels. Possible CV joint? I'm going to rotate the tires this weekend to check and see if it may be just the tire. Thanks for any feedback.

Guest raycastro

I've also had steering wheel vibration and tire noise about a month ago on some old tires. I suspected that it was something mechanical too, but a rotation and balance cured the problem.

Higher quality passenger/touring tires may take of the noise. I recently replaced a set of worn Dunlop Sport A2's with a set of touring BFGoodrich tires they had at Wal-Mart. I pretty much asked for their quietest set of tires. The new tires made a significant difference in reducing the noise in the car.

Guest tsunami55

Check the throttle position sensor. If it's a 5-speed, the switch is simply an on-off affair, that advances the timing as soon as the switch is made (off a closed throttle). Maybe it's just out of adjustment - use a timing light to adjust.

Check the throttle position sensor. If it's a 5-speed, the switch is simply an on-off affair, that advances the timing as soon as the switch is made (off a closed throttle). Maybe it's just out of adjustment - use a timing light to adjust.

I'm not so sure about that. It still could be the TPS, but no newer FI system that I'm aware of operates without a TPS... especially sequential FI running on a 16 or 32bit OBDCII computer. The old port FI systems might have used manifold vacuum, but they weren't any better than carbs.

Topic List