Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By crypticlineage, December 18, 2009

Hey guys,

I haven't been here in a very long time. Some of you may remember me, especially Bikeman and Fish.

So, I am getting ready to do a rotor and pad replacement in the front on my 2000 corolla. This time around, I am going to make my own brake bleeder, so don't have to do the it the old fashioned "pump brake" way. All the instructions are coming from this website. I have acquired all the things needed for making this bleeder, save the master cylinder reservoir cap. I can't find one at the local auto parts stores, or even at the junkyard. The dealership wants $20 plus taxes for it. Because the whole purpose is to make a bleeder cheaply, I don't want to shell out that much for a piece of rubber.

I was wondering if there was an alternative. Can I perhaps put together a makeshift one somehow? Has anyone done this? Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks guys. Oh and by the way, I recently moved to Texas. Not in Tennessee anymore.

V

Dan_H

How about a vacuum bleeder kit? Same result without the risk to the reservoir or cylinders..

Interesting! How does that work, if you know?

Thanks.

How about a vacuum bleeder kit? Same result without the risk to the reservoir or cylinders..

Dan_H

The reservoir in the kit has two ports. One to connect to the bleeder nut, the other connects to the vacuum tool. Instead of adding pressure at the top of the system to force the fluid through the bleeder nut, placing a vacuum at the bleeder nut lets atmospheric pressure push the fluid down to the vacuum.

Another advantage: it works on any car. I use a vacuum bleeder to replace a little fluid from each corner in the daily driver every year. The autocross car gets the system flushed twice per year with the same tool.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)