Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2001 Toyota Corolla

Guest jayliao

hey guys,

i don't know much about cars but wondering if you smarter guys will know what's going on with my car. there's a knocking, and ticking sounds coming from the engine. seems to me like its coming from the passenger side. when i accelerate the ticking or knocking noise occurs. i am not losing any power, my temp is just right, but just the sound of knocking noise makes me nervous. would greatly appreciate any help or suggestion. im trying to get the diagnostic code soon for you guys.

If the ticking gets faster as you accelerate, I would look for a nail or big stone in the tread of your tire. Also, check your engine oil level to make sure the noise isn't the sound of your engine wishing it had more.

Guest jayliao

yeah don't think its the tires. the noise i guess is coming from near the timing chain. i've narrowed it down to either my O2 sensor is bad...or my timing chain tensioner. what do you think?

• 54 posts
yeah don't think its the tires. the noise i guess is coming from near the timing chain. i've narrowed it down to either my O2 sensor is bad...or my timing chain tensioner. what do you think?

How many miles / KM are on the car?

Mine had only 91,000 and the timing chain was stretched badly enough that it was noisy.

It cost me about $160 and 8 hours of a Saturday. (I cleaned everything while it was apart...)

Could be a bad serpentine belt tensioner as well. Hard to say without taking a peek at it. Rule out the easy stuff first. If you haven't done a comprehensive tune up or getting close to one, go ahead and have that done. The 1ZZ-FE is pretty noisy, even in good condition. Make sure you keep an eye on fluid levels, driveability, performance, and anything obviously wrong (leaks, damaged or missing hose, components, etc.)

VVTi system, especially the oil control valve, can be starved for oil, that could cause the engine to make a heck of a lot of noise, but still run OK. A datalogger could be helpful in that case, an automotive stethoscope can also help pinpoint the noise.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)