Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By PRIZM, November 9, 2009

I've got a 2001 Prizm, manual trans, 103k miles. Whenever I turn the AC or defrost off, there’s a loud grinding/screeching noise coming from the AC compressor. When the AC/defrost is turned on the AC compressor clutch engages and the noise instantly stops. I think there might be a bad bearing inside the AC clutch mechanism. Any idea how difficult this is to replace or what parts I need to order. The AC still works great, so I'm hoping I don't have to buy a whole new compressor. Thanks for the help!

Sounds like that magnetic clutch portion has a bad bearing or maybe corroded on the inside (snapring broke or any number of the shims got chewed up). Could be a chewed up pressure plate for the magnetic clutch, making contact even if the relay is not energized.

I don't believe I've ever seen those parts sold separately from the compressor - but many times, when I have a compressor exhibit symptoms like that - the compressor is usually done by then as well.

Guest AndyBam

I've got the exact same problem in my 01 Prizm with 104k miles. It started about 1.5 years/20k miles ago. My mechanic said it was the A/C clutch and estimated $250 to fix. I can usually get the rattling to stop by turning the A/C button on/off several times so I've just been living with it. Doesn't effect the A/C operation at all.

I've got the exact same problem in my 01 Prizm with 104k miles. It started about 1.5 years/20k miles ago. My mechanic said it was the A/C clutch and estimated $250 to fix. I can usually get the rattling to stop by turning the A/C button on/off several times so I've just been living with it. Doesn't effect the A/C operation at all.

That’s exactly what’s going on with my car..... I'm really hoping I can just replace the clutch mechanism because the compressor still works great.

if you spray some wd40 or light oil at the clutch then run it, does the noise go away? if so then its a slippy noisy clutch.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)