Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Faulty Dome Light 2006 Corolla Le

Guest August06

Hi,

I have a 06 Corolla LE, and the dome light is malfunctioning. It won't turn on when it is switched to "on" or "door", but I can get it to light up if I push the switch up into the mechanism. Which makes me believe that there is some faulty electrical thing happening. My question is: should I replace the entire the dome, or just the switch? (Toyota says I can only get the dome). And, how easy is this?

Thanks!

Mrs. P

I have the exact same problem with my 2006 corolla le too.

Guest Larry W

Hi,

I have a 06 Corolla LE, and the dome light is malfunctioning. It won't turn on when it is switched to "on" or "door", but I can get it to light up if I push the switch up into the mechanism. Which makes me believe that there is some faulty electrical thing happening. My question is: should I replace the entire the dome, or just the switch? (Toyota says I can only get the dome). And, how easy is this?

Thanks!

Mrs. P

My 2006 Corolla does almost the same thing. The switch is in the dome light and it is a defective switch in my car. It was bad when I bought the car used. I have not changed it yet - they are kind of expensive. Pushing the lever on the dome light up makes the light come on. The switch is molded into the dome light on my car and would have to be changed out as a unit.

Guest novice

My 2006 had the same problem with the dome light. The light wouldn't go on unless you pushed on the switch.

I finally figured out how to fix it.

I just used a little bit of simple engineering.

The small switch in the light has some plastic parts that break off and allow it to drop down and lose contact.

If you take something the width and thickness of a wooden popsicle stick, cut it to approximately 1 inch long and glue it inside of the clear light lens so as to

be under the switch, it will hold the switch up making the proper contact. Okay--I confess, I used a piece of an actual popsicle stick and a little hot glue.

I did however round the cut end of the popsicle stick to match the original end.

My dome light works as good as the day the car was originally purchased and I fixed it for the price of a popsicle. No one has ever noticed it.

I do caution you as others have done-- the switch has a small spring and steel ball that are easy to lose.

Good Luck with it,

Novice

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)