Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2002 Corolla Ce Automatic-Problem

By jose1, November 3, 2009

Hi

I have a 02 Corolla(black default_smile ) auto, Ce, 85k, I put mobil regular or BP regular gas, but lately sometimes, When I am going to start the car or park I notice A Gasoline Smell? Why is it happening there is no leak. Why? Oil changes are done on time,etc. There is no other problem except maybe sometimes a Funny noise when the cold a/c is turned on at the same time with the car, and sometimes when going up to 20 it might hesitate but not completely. ? thanks .

Oh, And Hello to ALL! default_smile

Jose

Miami,Fl USA

Hello and Welcome to the forums.

When you fill up the tank, do you stop filling with the pump's auto shutoff or do you "top-off" the tank? Topping-off the tank can cause some of the fuel to backup the vent tube and spill outside of the fill tube and cause that gasoline odor, or even completely saturate the vapor canister - which will cause it to vent to the atmosphere (gas oder near the rear, driver's side door) and could lead to a very expensive repair in the future (clogged vapor canister ~ $350+ parts and labor to replace).

A cracked vent tube or cut-off valve is another possibility - can happen to any car/make. A bad gas cap gasket or not tightening the gas cap until it "clicks" is another possibility. Try partial fill ups and see if you still notice a gasoline odor. If you do, might mean a more significant issue, like a a cracked vent tube or clogged charcoal/vapor canister.

As for starting up with the A/C on, that noise could come from a number of issues. Loose or worn serpentine belt, too much of an electrical load initially, etc. Next time, shut off all accessories before you crank the car - less of a load on the electrical system, more power to crank the engine over.

Hesitation at a certain speed - again could be a number of culprits. When was the last time you had a comprehensive tune up? Transaxle fluid change out recently? Cleaned throttle body? Checked plugs? Cleaned MAF sensor, verified air filter is clean?

Hello and Welcome to the forums.

When you fill up the tank, do you stop filling with the pump's auto shutoff or do you "top-off" the tank? Topping-off the tank can cause some of the fuel to backup the vent tube and spill outside of the fill tube and cause that gasoline odor, or even completely saturate the vapor canister - which will cause it to vent to the atmosphere (gas oder near the rear, driver's side door) and could lead to a very expensive repair in the future (clogged vapor canister ~ $350+ parts and labor to replace).

A cracked vent tube or cut-off valve is another possibility - can happen to any car/make. A bad gas cap gasket or not tightening the gas cap until it "clicks" is another possibility. Try partial fill ups and see if you still notice a gasoline odor. If you do, might mean a more significant issue, like a a cracked vent tube or clogged charcoal/vapor canister.

As for starting up with the A/C on, that noise could come from a number of issues. Loose or worn serpentine belt, too much of an electrical load initially, etc. Next time, shut off all accessories before you crank the car - less of a load on the electrical system, more power to crank the engine over.

Hesitation at a certain speed - again could be a number of culprits. When was the last time you had a comprehensive tune up? Transaxle fluid change out recently? Cleaned throttle body? Checked plugs? Cleaned MAF sensor, verified air filter is clean?

I always make the gas cap tight, 3 -4 clicks ocd default_smile

When I went for my last oil change, they recommended "Fuel Injectors" . (Mobil Quick Lube Standalone not gas station)

Before that Oil Change was at Midas(I did my front drums there), But they said I had a Small Leak, Only When the car is on, I need to have A Transmission Flush according to them, quoted me $160. Advised me to make sure I always Had Tranny Fluid. But not too Much(Had too much last time)

Before Midas, Pepboys, Where I replaced A Worn Serpentine Belt and Had The Oil Changed, i was not told to do anything else. No noticeable leaks That I have seen.

today I didn't notice the Smell of gas As Previous times. ??

Right now she has Less than Half .but not a Quarter. I have never run on E. close to but never On E.

Your thoughts?

Thanks Again

Jose

The intermittent fuel odor makes it sounds like a vent tube malfunction or a leak in the EVAP system (evaporative emissions system). Note that this should not affect driveability of the car, engine will be just fine, just that it is not capturing all the evaporated fuel like it should be.

Fuel Injectors from the Mobil Quick Lube, sounds like a fuel injector service. About 90% of the time, not needed, as there is enough cleaners and detergents to keep the injectors clean. A few cases, injector service may cause problems, from leaking injector gaskets to introducing fuel leaks (at the fuel rail or fuel hard lines). This would only make sense if you are experiencing poor driveability, exceptionally poor fuel economy, excessive misfiring, or if the injectors seems to be sticking. Depending on the shop, they may or may not clean the throttle body and MAF sensor (mass airflow sensor) with an injector service. This is more a money making vehicle for the shop, than preventative maintenance for your car - I would personally pass on this.

Transmission flush is a mixed bag. Depends on the equipment they use and how they flush the system. The better flushing systems require the transaxle plan to be dropped from the car - transaxle filter replaced or cleaned, and the machine hooked directly to the fluid pickup. The less optimal systems hook to the transaxle cooler lines or through the dipstick tube itself - my experience, those tend to be more problematic than not. If you fluid exchanges (drain and refill) on a routine schedule, there is no need for flushes at all. The factory service manual recommends drains and refills for the transaxle every 30K miles. They are correct about the fluid levels - but that applies to just about every system on the car, that's why they label min and max marks on them. Again, IMO, this is more a money making vehicle for the shop, than preventative maintenance for your car - I would personally pass on this.

The intermittent fuel odor makes it sounds like a vent tube malfunction or a leak in the EVAP system (evaporative emissions system). Note that this should not affect driveability of the car, engine will be just fine, just that it is not capturing all the evaporated fuel like it should be.

Fuel Injectors from the Mobil Quick Lube, sounds like a fuel injector service. About 90% of the time, not needed, as there is enough cleaners and detergents to keep the injectors clean. A few cases, injector service may cause problems, from leaking injector gaskets to introducing fuel leaks (at the fuel rail or fuel hard lines). This would only make sense if you are experiencing poor driveability, exceptionally poor fuel economy, excessive misfiring, or if the injectors seems to be sticking. Depending on the shop, they may or may not clean the throttle body and MAF sensor (mass airflow sensor) with an injector service. This is more a money making vehicle for the shop, than preventative maintenance for your car - I would personally pass on this.

Transmission flush is a mixed bag. Depends on the equipment they use and how they flush the system. The better flushing systems require the transaxle plan to be dropped from the car - transaxle filter replaced or cleaned, and the machine hooked directly to the fluid pickup. The less optimal systems hook to the transaxle cooler lines or through the dipstick tube itself - my experience, those tend to be more problematic than not. If you fluid exchanges (drain and refill) on a routine schedule, there is no need for flushes at all. The factory service manual recommends drains and refills for the transaxle every 30K miles. They are correct about the fluid levels - but that applies to just about every system on the car, that's why they label min and max marks on them. Again, IMO, this is more a money making vehicle for the shop, than preventative maintenance for your car - I would personally pass on this.

I brought the Car used with 82,000something, carfax, last year in may. Now she has 85 almost 86,I drive her everyday. She runs fine other than what I mentioned, My dad used to be mechanic and he mentioned that sometimes shops would recommend services you don't need. His eyesight is not so good, but he does check. and I check under the hood, I just don't want any problems. Should I continue using the same brand of fuel? Avoid the Low cost Stations(example: Westar or Mom&pop Brand in my area?) if your car is older, no need for Plus or Premium on a Corolla Right? it can damage it? Where the guy(Midas) pointed out to me the tranny flush, it does look like "Greasy dirty"/oily cover. but it never leaks, and he says it leaks inside?

Thanks again for all the help & advice default_smile

Jose

Brand of fuel is not too much of an issue on Corollas in general. Of course, quality of gasoline can vary from station to station - but don't be hung up on just the brand name. Though I do agree that smaller, independant fuel stations tend to have a lower turnover on fuel - so there is a higher chance of fuel contamination from water, debris, etc. Stick with a stations that has a pretty steady stream of customers to be assured of "fresh" gasoline.

The car is designed for regular fuel - midgrade and premium can be used, but will not offer any significant advantage over the regular grade. Some older cars "like" higher octane fuels, as the car gets older - more and more deposits are formed in the combustion chambers that may not be blown off in normal operations. In this case, hot spots can form that could cause engine pinging and detonation under certain loads, engine speeds. This case, higher octane fuel can help reduce the knocking and pinging, generally increasing fuel economy. But note that this is a "bandaid" fix, higher octane will not fix the problem, just address the symptoms.

As for the Midas tech - greasy/dirty transaxle cover? "Leaks on the inside"??? comment - unbelievable. I wouldn't trust anything that comes out of that guys mouth. Check around the perimeter of the transmission pan - if it is wet between the transaxle and the pan, then you may have a leak. If it is dry, I hope this guy is not one of those old school scammers (take an oily rag and wipe parts down, then pull you over and say - "look, you have a leak").

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)