Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Guest gotrojans82

I own a 1993 Corolla.

When using the heater, it blows cool air.

The A/C works fine.

I am unsure as to why this is.

Steve in Los Angeles

Hello and Welcome to the forums.

Does the car get up to operating temperature (noted by the temp gauge)? Verified that you have coolant in the radiator/overflow tank (be on the safe side, check both)? Tried different settings of hot/cool air - try it on the A/C setting to see if heat is produced? Notice if the windshield fogs up more often than usual? Notice if there is a sweet smell in the car's interior?

Sounds like the heater core is clogged or leaking on you. There is also a chance that the blend door (part that directs airflow in the HVAC system) is not moving, so basically it is stuck on A/C.

On our 93', we also had no heat, the temp gauge never rose from the bottom, it was the thermostat and once I replaced that, we got our heat back as well as an additional 4-5 MPGs to put my car within it's respectable range.

Hopefully your problem is as simple as ours but go through Fish's suggestions first, he already listed the temp gauge in his first question.

My guess is that the thermostat has failed. These t-stats fail open so the engine won't come up to normal temps. The temp gauge should be right in the middle of its range when fully warm.

Good luck,

Jay in MA

Topic List