Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2001 Corolla, Makes Noise When Taking Of From Stop Light

by kulkarni_ash, October 26, 2009

kulkarni_ash

I have 2001 corolla with 182,000 miles on it, last few days i notice that it makes noise when i taking pickup or starting from traffic light, once i reached about 25 miles per hour it is smooth again,

When i am idling, i can raise the car and do not hear any noise.

Does this mean some issue with transmission, how do i find what is wrong, how much it might cost to fix this issue,

You need to describe the noise, first of all. Where does it come from? Is it continious? How loud? etc. Describe all other things you noticed that may be helpful.

kulkarni_ash

This noise comes from front passenger side, and it is like metal rubbing on metal kind of noise, car runs smoothly once it gets momentum. may be i dont hear it at high speed because of all the wind etc.

On that side of the engine, there are several likely culprits:

- Could be the serpentine belt tensioner going out

- Idler pulley's bearing is worn out

- That side's brake caliper is sticking to the brake rotor

- Bad wheel bearing

- and worse

Need to localize the noise and characterize the noise further to help pinpoint it.

kulkarni_ash

Found the issue, it was brake, replaced brake pad and drum on both front wheels, now there is no noise.

I paid a guy 225$ to do this job, including parts, does that sound reasonable

New rotors and pads on both side? $225 is about average to do that job - parts cost alone typically would probably run around $100-$120, and about 2 hours of labor at typically $55/hr - so repair should about right. Do you know what parts were used? Toyota OEM or aftermarket parts?

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)