Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Anyone With Oil Consumption In 2003 Corolla?

by friendly_jacek, October 26, 2009

friendly_jacek

Hi,

I'm well aware about the oil consumption problems in 1998-2002 Corolla. So far no problems with my car at 64000 miles, but I just added 250 ml of oil 1000 miles after oil change. Oil was full immediately after oil change. No leaks. I know, this is nothing major, but I wonder if this is a beginning of oil consumption. My car was made in 2002, with new oil ring design, but before the new pistons design (with more oil holes in oil ring area) phased in in early 2003.

Does anyone have 2003 model made in 2002 with oil consumption?

Thanks!

Oil consumption is possible for any car, but comparing the 8th gen to 9th gen - is like a night and day difference. I haven't really heard of any oil consumption issue on a 9th gen, unless the car was seriously abused.

Have you looked at the timing chain tensioner and see if it is leaking? Fairly common issue with the 9th gen Corollas - but can happen to any Toyota with a timing chain instead of a timing belt. Check that the PCV is still functional - this can just suddenly clog up on you and the result is slight oil consumption.

Since this is the first time it consumed oil - I would top it off and see if it drops again in another 1000 miles. Could be a one time "fluke", maybe something with the blend of oil that was poured in the crankcase or little more than usual fuel dilution of the oil (happens).

friendly_jacek

I haven't really heard of any oil consumption issue on a 9th gen, unless the car was seriously abused.

Me neither. But I came across this info on a 2003 1ZZ-FE:

once removed all three piston rings from each piston he has disclosed that all drain holes (4 ps on each piston skirt) located inside the scrapper ring groove are clogged (!!!) with oil slag. and it is understood the oil could not be drained from liner into the sump resulting its burning in combustion chamber.

from: http://toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=76153&mode=threaded&pid=717506

My 2003 made in 2002 has these pistons with 4 oil holes, so I'm in the same boat. The newer pistons have 8 holes and are mostly OK.

I will watch the consumption issue closely and if confirmed, will move to aggressive ring cleaning techniques (like piston soak and flushes before oil change).

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)