Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

1999 Automatic Clutch Issues?

Guest cpadude

Hi all.

I have a 1999 Corolla LE, 130000 miles, lots of rust from being on the streets of Chicago, manual transmission.

Recently the car has become very underpowered. While going up a moderate hill, the car can not get past 45 mph, even in 3rd gear. The car accelerates noticably slower, and on the highway the car moves like a snail. The car has a problem starting (though it always starts) after turning the ignition a few times. The gas mileage has dropped a lot, to about 25 mpg, were it was before 32+ mpg.

I've taken it to my mechanic, and he thinks it's the clutch. Every time he drives it into the garage, he comments on the clutch and other mechanics have as well.

Is there anything that can be the problem other than the clutch? I want to do my proper homework before dropping $700.

Thanks

Guest cpadude

sorry - the title should say "Manual Transmission Clutch Issues."

A well worn clutch would cause your issue posted, but so can a half dozen other things. Sounds like it has the classic symptoms of a slipping clutch disk. If you notice that the engine seems to race (RPMS increase) with no apparent increase in speed, could be a slipping clutch.

But given your mileage and driving conditions - could also be anything from a mis-adjusted clutch pedal/pushrod, air in the clutch lines, heavily contaminated clutch fluid (uses brake fluid), engine issues (may need a tuneup - dirty throttle body, clogged injectors, heavily worn sparkplugs and/or damaged ignition components, etc.), engine sensors (O2 sensors, induction, exhaust issues), driveaxles are binding, heavily contaminated or low on gear lube, and more. One that doesn't sound right is the fuel mileage drop - even with a clutch that slips quite a bit, the mileage won't drop that much. That sounds more like an engine tuneup and O2 sensor(s) may be at fault - as an engine that is lower on power is also harder to drive, can seem like the clutch is toast, especially to someone that are not used to driving your car.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)