Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

93 Corolla Engine Swap...help

by Wishful_Thinking, October 12, 2009

Wishful_Thinking

Hey guys I need some help here..I now have a 93 corolla with 250,000 miles. Im 17 so i dont have alotta funds but i want to do some work on this car swapping engines is just one of the areas i want to touch on. Im more performance oriented vs appearance, though i will probaly be gettin a paint job before anything else...ive got a hook up only reason why. But i saw the post from fishexpo helpin.... alec.. i think? with the swap. I have limited experience with engines or for that matter anything else with a car, but i love cars especially imports. U dont see many corollas on the scene, but i want something different anyway.. Ill be honest the corolla isnt my first choice, but it was given to me.I want an engine swap that could give me potential for around 200-250hp, and fairly inexpensive, and being my experience is limited a swap that wouldnt cause me to have a nervous breakdown.

Any help is greatly appreciated...umm also how i should go about with a budget and what order the mods should come in...turbocharging is a aspiration for the project.

can u understand my username now?

Depends on your definition of "inexpensive" and if the car is intended to be daily driven or not.

If this is your primary car - then the performance numbers you are looking at + reliability will NOT be very cheap. Engine swap alone will be a major undertaking - if this is your first time, the initial costs (equipment, etc.) can be quite staggering. Fortunately, there are lots of options for the 7th gen Corolla - as all A-series engine will physically fit on the mounts, the choice becomes how much you want to invest in the engine and what your ultimate power goals are. Even the OEM 1.6L 4AFE and 1.8L 7AFE engines can put up some decent numbers on boost. With a decent tune on the stock engine running 6-7PSI - you could see a realistic 50-65WHP gain.

Now what about costs? In the above example, assuming that the engine is in good enough shape to take boost and that the setup is properly tuned up (couple of dyno pulls, tuning of EMs system, etc. - you are looking at $3K-$5K for that kind of gain. Sounds like a lot of money, and it is, but you are also bumping up the power of the original engine by around 50% or so - which is a huge gain. We didn't even take about brake upgrades, exhaust and intake considerations, suspension upgrades, and transaxle considerations (beefier clutch, pressure plate, flywheel on manuals - upgraded valvebody and aux cooling for automatics).

To shoot for an engine swap and then turbocharge it, along with all the chassis upgrades and proper tuning so it doesn't blow up on you - could be easily looking tat $5K-$7K to start. Not to mention all the increased maintenance costs (synthetic fluids to take the higher heat, more aggressive fluid change interval, premium gas and thirst for more gasoline, etc.) Shooting for a 200-250WHP project car - that is attainable, but you need some serious amount of cash to get there. Not trying to discourage you - but you have to take in all the costs initially, during the build, and future maintenance. I've had other project cars in the past that had similar power gains (was a Honda guy in the early 90's, before the import craze took off - when we had to fabricate almost every single part for swaps and forced induction), but the amount of time and energy spent on them - I could have saved up that money and bought the car I wanted, and still keep the original car as a daily driver or spare car.

That said - for the 200-250WHP power goal and keep decent reliability - you are looking at 4AGE or 4AGZE as possible starting points. The 4AGZE already came from the factory with a supercharger - most drop that and set the engine up for turbocharging. As all the important bits are already in place (lower engine compression ratio, oiling system to help cool the piston, etc.) Still in relatively high demand, so expect to pay a premium for them. The 4AGE gives you the most flexibility - be it 16 valve or 20 valve variants, big-port, small-port, TVIS system, etc. - do you want something for higher RPM power or something for forced induction. In naturally aspirated form - the Formula Atlantic variants (16-valve, no emissions, etc.) were pushing 240HP+ from 1.6L of displacement. So lots of potential there, hard part is finding ones still in good shape. Donor engines can be found running anywhere from $650 to as much as $2K - depending on condition and source. You also have to verify the legality of the swap in your area - some places will not allow you to legally swap an older engine into a newer car - most of the engines I've listed were in cars that may be older than your Corolla and may not even be available in the US. Have to have them imported, which raises emissions flags for some jurisdictions and additional costs to you.

Wishful_Thinking

WOW....wish i was rich. I would like to keep it under 5 grand for now...turbo is not a primary goal right now, but ive read that for the money spent on naturally aspirated cars, u could have that power and then some with a turbo. But like i said im not a car guru, and i know everything is expensive. I still want to shoot for 200hp, yeah i thought about suspension and brakes which it needs. I found a good deal for the 20 valve silvertop 4age, already been imported into the U.S. through a company, low miles. The 20v is a new version right?Thats waht ive read.. also the transmission in this car needs to be replaced to meet the standard for the upgrades....im gonna be broke...pretty sure this is gonna end up being a long term project. Daily driven?? not sure yet, probaly or near a daily driver. The 20v has 160hp stock at that point im only 40 hp away from my lower hp goal.Man i really want to get started. Hey might be a stupid question, but u ever heard of a 1jz in a 90's front wheel drive corolla?? how hard is it to convert a FWD car to RWD, or vice versa???hard im sure.

yeah ive read about the formula atlantic engines they run for like 40,000 bucks

Ur a big help, really appreciate ur time and knowledge.

Yeah, the 20V are considered "newer" than the other 4AGE. But that doesn't always mean better - but for forced induction, either now or in the future - the silvertop is the better choice than the blacktop, for the 4AGE 20V variants.

As for various engine swaps - I've seen some pretty extreme ones. Anything is possible with enough time, patience, and money. There are a few AE92 Corollas running some crazy engines - being FWD platform, it limits what you can do. If you jump to the previous generation (RWD) - then sky is the limit on the swaps. I believe there is one AE86 running a twin-turbocharged 1UZFE V8 (Lexus LS400 engine).

As for converting FWD to RWD or AWD - that will take some deep pockets. Rob Millen took the AWD drivetrain from a Celica GT-4 (AWD)and dropped it into a 7th gen Celica (FWD) - they projected the project cost them over $400K in R&D (but that is a full blown rally car), Fensport UK took a 9th gen Corolla and converted it to AWD from a Celica GT-4 - that cost them an estimated $40K to do that swap. Without that level of resources, best thing you can do is buy the platform you want (FWD, RWD, AWD), then cut the body off and drop a Corolla body ontop.

Hard part of projects like this is budgeting the money. The rule of thumb is set a budget of what you are willing to spend, then double it - as that is usually what is required to pull these types of projects off successfully. Stuff can and will go wrong, parts break that you won't expect - those little expenses will nickel and dime you to death. Anyways - good luck with the project.

Topic List