Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

How To Replace My Serpintine Drive Belt On 1999 Corolla Ve?

by Bad_dude, August 15, 2009

Bad_dude

I was just inspecting my wife's car and the single belt has cracks on it. I would like to change this myself if it's not too hard.

Please give complete step by step instructions if any one could.

Thanks,

It's a quick twenty minutes thing. go to Autozone and rent their serpentine belt changing tool (Kinda free). It worked great. You just have to get that over the thing that looks like a bolt (but really isn't), pull on it, and it'll loosen everything up for an easy change. All you are doing is loosening the tensioner and sliding the new belt in exactly where the old belt was positioned. Make a diagram of where the belt goes which is over the alternator and under the tensioner. replace exactly the way it came off. I would buy a decent belt. Most of on this board like bando,goodyear gatorback or toyota O.E.M. Dayco is pretty good too.

Bad_dude

It's a quick twenty minutes thing. go to Autozone and rent their serpentine belt changing tool (Kinda free). It worked great. You just have to get that over the thing that looks like a bolt (but really isn't), pull on it, and it'll loosen everything up for an easy change. All you are doing is loosening the tensioner and sliding the new belt in exactly where the old belt was positioned. Make a diagram of where the belt goes which is over the alternator and under the tensioner. replace exactly the way it came off. I would buy a decent belt. Most of on this board like bando,goodyear gatorback or toyota O.E.M. Dayco is pretty good too.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. There are so many pulleys within the belt limit, does any one has a pic on which one to put the tool on?

Thanks,

idler pulley . here is a link from autozone .

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/repairinfo/common/repairInfoMain.jsp;jsessionid=B389353DF39993F1151CF7E9B828C4EE.diyprod3-b2c13?leftNavPage=productsHowTo&targetPage=productInformation&partCode=0900c15280213ed2

Look for an arm with a pulley on it that has a hexagonal bolt welded to the side. It's welded so that you can use it as something to grab to loosen the belt. the bolt itself doesn't actually turn in relation to the arm.

+1 on the tip to draw a diagram, too.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)