Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By Lee614, August 1, 2009

I did a search and didn't find much of anything so here are a few questions.

Has anybody done the timing chain tensioner o-ring?

Is it just remove the two nuts and it comes out?? or is it more complicated than that?

Do I just replace the O-ring or do I have replace the whole part?

Are there any adjustments needed?

You may just be able the O-ring - check with the dealership first - as they may have to special order it if they don't have one on hand. Otherwise, you'll have to buy the whole assembly. Not too bad, depending on the dealership - usually around $30-$40 or so.

Just the two nuts and it will pop out. The trick is making sure the hook on the arm releases smoothly as you reinsert the tensioner, or you'll have an issue with chain tension. The right way to do it, is to pull the valve cover off as well - and verify that the tensioner engages correctly. Once you see the tensioner, you'll understand. I've heard of people that have just popped teh old tensioner out and replaced it - no problems. Others did that and the tensioner didn't release - that made the chain run with too much slack and they immediately broke the chain. Since the engine is an interference design - if the chain lets go when the engine is running, you could have serious engine damage occur. When I did mine - I had to pop the valve cover off. Wasn't a big deal - also gave me a chance to replace the valvecover o-ring as well as check valve clearances.

Thanks!! that is what I needed to know.

Topic List