Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Factory Remote

by Bitter, May 22, 2009

I'd like to see if theres anyway possible to boost the range of the factory remote. which is the weak link? the keyfob transmitter and its lack of power output/antenna or the receiver end of things? i'd like to be able to arm/disarm from my apartment balcony which is about....out of range i'm sure. range seems to be about 100ft give or take, i don't know how old the battery in the fob is though. i'd need to about double that, thoughts?

I know the OEM remote on the Matrix has a pretty pathetic range. Maybe 20'-30' if I'm lucky, many times I have to be within a couple feet of the car. The keyfob itself is probably OK - changing the battery does nothing to range - it is more likely the wire that is picking up the signal is the issue. I haven't taken a crack at the receiver yet - that is on my todo list.

Here's why I think it might be the wire - I could unlock the doors from the top of a 15 story building if I'm basically right over the top of the car - from the sides, pathetic range of maybe 10'-20' - from either the front or rear of the car - range improves slightly maybe 50% more. But I think the Toyota OEMs limit is right around 100' at best - unless you can mount the antenna high enough, or get a better line of sight.

I know the OEM remote on the Matrix has a pretty pathetic range. Maybe 20'-30' if I'm lucky, many times I have to be within a couple feet of the car. The keyfob itself is probably OK - changing the battery does nothing to range - it is more likely the wire that is picking up the signal is the issue. I haven't taken a crack at the receiver yet - that is on my todo list.

Here's why I think it might be the wire - I could unlock the doors from the top of a 15 story building if I'm basically right over the top of the car - from the sides, pathetic range of maybe 10'-20' - from either the front or rear of the car - range improves slightly maybe 50% more. But I think the Toyota OEMs limit is right around 100' at best - unless you can mount the antenna high enough, or get a better line of sight.

i'll probably dig into extending the cars antenna some and see what that does, but currently i can unlock it through a metal barn about 20ft away which impressed me.

Fishexpo is exactly right. The range from a factory remote is very pathetic. Many, many, times I've hit the remote button only to find out the car is still locked when I get there. The battery is NOT the problem, as I have replaced it with a new one and got the exact same results.

The concept that you could unlock the car from the top of a 15 story is also very true. The trick that I use to increase my remote range is to hold the remote well over my head and point at the center of the car. The distance easily doubles and sometimes even triples!! Of course people will give you odd looks when you use the remote this way, but, it does work.....

My 2 cents worth.........

i just had a brilliant idea or a stupid idea, depends if it would work or not.

1. i need to know where the antenna for the remote is inside the car

but if i were to run a lead from it to the antenna of the vehicle, would that extend the reception range well or would my car be getting erroneous signals all the time and unlocking itself?

i've figured out that theres an antenna for it built into the hatch glass, cool.

my remote when i take it apart has a 3rd button on the front side that does nothing, whats that one for?

I wouldn't be surprised to see the same PCB board in many Toyota remote. That extra buttin is probably to trigger a secondary solenoid - on mine, it pops the hatch on the Matrix. Have to hold in the button for a few seconds to pop it.

I've also though of running the remote wire to the antenna - but I'm pretty sure there is an amplifer in there that probably won't work on the same range as the wireless (I think keyless entry remotes are in 200-300 megahertz range or higher).

I wouldn't be surprised to see the same PCB board in many Toyota remote. That extra buttin is probably to trigger a secondary solenoid - on mine, it pops the hatch on the Matrix. Have to hold in the button for a few seconds to pop it.

I've also though of running the remote wire to the antenna - but I'm pretty sure there is an amplifer in there that probably won't work on the same range as the wireless (I think keyless entry remotes are in 200-300 megahertz range or higher).

i now am thinking along the lines of getting a better antenna and mounting it to the glass higher up on the hatch, but my RF antenna design is a bit non existent. just a simple di-pole or even just a single bit of wire would probably suffice to give much more even coverage and possibly a little more range. i do wonder though if the limiter is the keyfobs range to transmit. not much you can do there sadly.

Topic List