Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

95 Corolla Break Light Woes

by iToster, May 15, 2009

I've been plagued for the past week or so with a strange behavior on my 95 DX. Every time I depress the brake pedals it's like going to the second click on the turn signal lever (turning on the corner lights, gauge cluster lights, etc) as well as the third brake light staying on when the switch is actually in the second or third (headlights) spot. I feel like it's a short, but can't say for sure. Any ideas?

I've been plagued for the past week or so with a strange behavior on my 95 DX. Every time I depress the brake pedals it's like going to the second click on the turn signal lever (turning on the corner lights, gauge cluster lights, etc) as well as the third brake light staying on when the switch is actually in the second or third (headlights) spot. I feel like it's a short, but can't say for sure. Any ideas?

sounds like you itoastered it. i guess ,and this is a pure guess that you may get lucky and find you have a short in one of the rear tail light sockets wiring where the brake light is turning on the headlight switch accessories(tail lights) or the other guess is that the short is in the harness where the brake switch wiring joins the bigger harness under the dash.take the fuse out of the brake light .. see if the lights still come on. follow it with a continuity tester. It could also be where the headlight relay is in the fuse box area under the hood. That may be a tough one to find. might be time for a pro.

I had the EXACT same thing happen on my 95! It was due to a corroded tail light bulb/socket. I would remove both tail lights and all the bulbs. There will most likely be one or more that is badly corroded and creates a short. Take a wire brush or some steel wood to each socket, and brush the conact on each bulb. You might want to just replace all the bulbs while you are at it.

Hope it helps - That fixed it for me.

Hey guys, I was out driving tonight (had to check on some animals) and, well, *POW* my brake and taillight fuses blow. I replaced them and lo and behold they blew again, not even enough time to get home. The Corolla gets to go see the mechanic Tuesday, but I'll try your suggestion Mr Blotto. At least I've still got the 4Runner to drive until then... default_sad

Bikeman982

Sounds like a short. Remove the brake light bulbs, check the contacts and replace bulbs with new ones.

Get extra fuses, in case they blow again. You can fix it yourself!

Thanks everyone for your help. I pulled the bulbs out of the taillights this evening and found a bulb with a base that had melted and essentially soldered the socket, causing the short. Using this as good cause to rid myself of the ugly yellow and red taillights I went over to the local junkyard and got the taillights off a '96 and voila, problem fixed.

If anyone's interested...

https://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg165/R...ty/IMG_0833.png

Thanks everyone for your help. I pulled the bulbs out of the taillights this evening and found a bulb with a base that had melted and essentially soldered the socket, causing the short. Using this as good cause to rid myself of the ugly yellow and red taillights I went over to the local junkyard and got the taillights off a '96 and voila, problem fixed.

oh yea, theres a bunch of threads about that here and at the other site, not an uncommon problem really.

Bikeman982

Nice license plate, where can I get one like it??

I have a couple of sets of the '96 / '97 taillights for sale - PM me, if interested.

Topic List