Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2005 Air Conditioner

Guest keveyem

Hi,

I have a weird problem in my 2005 corolla, when the AC is switched on, it just sucks the air from outside, and just blows it in. It doesn't blow hot air per se. The heater worked fine all winter long.

I tried searching the forum for previous answers couldn't find anything remotely close to this issue.

I'm planning to do a pressure test, is there anything else I should do before going to the mechanic. And is it worth using those $10 refrigerant cans sold in auto stores?

TIA

Hello and Welcome to the forum.

You mean that it doesn't seem to be blowing any cold air? Could just be low on charge - there is a sight glass window that you can take a peek at as the A/C is running. Should be clear and with no bubbles - be in the front of the car, close to the radiator - just look for the large metal cylinder with metal hoses running to it - there will be a little window on top.

Otherwise, do the pressure test - that is the quickest, sure-fire way to determine if you are low on refrigerant. Those little cans they sell will recharge your system just fine - but you have to check the pressure first. Very easy to overfill the A/C system and cause problems down the road.

Two things I woud check out first: Check the cabin air filter - make sure that is clean, otherwise replace it. If that is clogged up - will seriously reduce cooling capability. Second, make sure the A/C compressor is actually coming on. With the hood up, flip the A/C on and off - you should note that there is a pulley that only turns when the A/C comes on. When switched off, the magnetic clutch will just allow the pulley to free-wheel. You should also note that the idle speed will jump up when you switch on the A/C, if it doesn't - the compressor make not be working (most common cause, is low refrigerant levels - A/C will NOT run to protect itself from damage).

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)