Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Can An Egr Valve Be Clean On A 1999 Corolla Ve?

by Bad_dude, April 16, 2009

Bad_dude

I was just wondering if the EGR Valve can be clean on the car. Also the EGR ports are they cleanable? I know I did the cleaning on my 1990 Honda Accord and performance was greatly improved.

Thanks,

This engine doesn't have an EGR - the injector design / strategy and combustion chamber design eliminated the system altogether.

Bad_dude

This engine doesn't have an EGR - the injector design / strategy and combustion chamber design eliminated the system altogether.

So is there any kind of service that I can do to remove some of the carbon from the intake to give it better performance?

Thanks.

Depends on where the carbon is at - throttle body, intake manifold, behind the intake valves, in the combustion chambers, etc. Unfortuntantly, there is no, one superior product out there that I've run across.

Some fuel injector cleaners contain solvents/chemicals that help remove some intake deposits. Though the amount of cleaning is offset by how much carbon is present. May take more than one treatment - some cases, your better off going a different route.

Some like Seafoam - as long as it is applied directly and you take the proper precautions - I'm personally wouldn't use that unless I was soaking a part off the engine.

Some use plain distilled water to - an old school trick to blow carbon deposits off the engine - little tricky to do with a injected system like the Corolla, but can be done.

There are machines that do a decent top end cleaning - can be pricey, some start at $150. Basically they run solvent through the injectors into the combustion chambers. So called "decarbonizing" treatments - some work well, some not so well.

A good, strong run on the highway with liberal applications of WOT - can blow out carbon deposits as well.

Problem is, carbon deposits are a normal occurance of the internal combustion engine, there is no single fix for it - more of a continuing process that takes place from the first time the car is run to the very end. Running a good quality fuel, keeping up with maintenance, make sure to get the to optimum operating temperatures all help. Some carbon deposits just will not come out - only way to get at them is with a cross-buff - which means you have to open the engine up to get at them.

Some spots that you can get at (some may require some disassembly of components):

- throttle body (can be cleaned on or off the car)

- intake manifold / intake plenum

- PCV system

The rest, you need to pull the head off - lots of labor to get that cleaned well. Note that all this assumes there is nothing wrong with the fuel injectors themselves. If you get a dead or dying injector - can cause all sorts of headaches. Some send in their injectors to get ultrasonically cleaned and flow balanced - though that cost some bucks. New injectors can be increadibly expensive.

Bad_dude

Thanks Fish for the great and complete answer as always. On my other post on the brake flushing, you mentioned instructions on the throttle body cleaning pics, when are we fortunate enough to see them and learn them?

Also, I have been so busy so the brakes have not been flushed yet.

Those pics should be coming up today - got the pics, just have to clean some of them up (blurry) and host them.

Bad_dude

Those pics should be coming up today - got the pics, just have to clean some of them up (blurry) and host them.

Hurray. Alright. Thanx.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)