Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

1999 Corolla Cigarette Lighter Repair

by saro29, March 9, 2009

Any instructions to replace the Cigarette lighter adapter on 1999 Corolla? I checked the fuse, those are ok since the clock and radio are working.

Appreciate your response.

Bikeman982

Any instructions to replace the Cigarette lighter adapter on 1999 Corolla? I checked the fuse, those are ok since the clock and radio are working.Appreciate your response.
Is it not working with an appliance, or with the cigarette lighter?

I would check the wiring.

It should have a power wire and a ground.

Do you have a volt-ohm meter? If so, set it for the range which includes 12 volts, then touch the red (+) probe to the contact in the center and the black (-) probe to the outer ring. You should get a positive voltage reading of around 13.8 volts, which is the usual voltage of a fully-charged automobile battery. 12 volts is just a nominal rating, it will almost always be somewhere between 12 and 14 volts.

If there is a zero voltage reading, then you have a break either in the ground or the positive lead going to the lighter socket. If you're comfortable digging into your car's dashboard, it shouldn't be very hard to diagnose. Also, and I'm not saying this to be a smart a$$, but are you sure you checked the correct fuse?

Bikeman982

Are the clock and radio on the same fuse? - maybe not.

Might be a separate fuse for the cigarette lighter.

Like Larry suggested - meter for voltage and take the panel off and check the wires.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)