Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Noob

By Rollie, February 22, 2009

Hey Corolland! First off, I dont own a Corolla. However, my live-in girlfriend does, so I figured Id join up so I could learn a little about her car. I'm a car nut, and like to be informed about the cars Im always around, plus, her family really doesnt know cars too well. Anyways, her car is a 1996 4 door auto, with somewhere in the neighborhood of 195,--- miles. Youd never know it though, the thing is virtually rust free and in great shape. Ill get a pic or two up within a few days, once it stops snowing.

Bikeman982

Hey Corolland! First off, I dont own a Corolla. However, my live-in girlfriend does, so I figured Id join up so I could learn a little about her car. I'm a car nut, and like to be informed about the cars Im always around, plus, her family really doesnt know cars too well. Anyways, her car is a 1996 4 door auto, with somewhere in the neighborhood of 195,--- miles. Youd never know it though, the thing is virtually rust free and in great shape. Ill get a pic or two up within a few days, once it stops snowing.
Welcome to the forum - and to your girlfriend (I hope she reads it), as well.

I also have a 7th generation (1993-1997) Corolla and have added a few posts.

You can read about my trials and tribulations with different cars and experiences.

Looking forward to seeing some photos.

Guest hurlmon

I just joined myself. I just got a 2000 LE with just under 66,000 miles. (8th Gen)

I just joined myself. I just got a 2000 LE with just under 66,000 miles. (8th Gen)

Hurlmon:

Goodness! My '03 Corolla LE Automatic has 61.7K miles on it! Perhaps we should start a thread called "Low Mileage Corollas!" BTW I had an 8th gen. ('01 LE 5-speed) for two years and just over 20K miles before I traded up to the 'O3. I was tired of shifting 30 times just to drive 4 miles through city traffic to get to work each day! Turns out the '03 Automatic gets better fuel economy, both city and highway, than the 5-speed did!

Bikeman982

Hurlmon:

Goodness! My '03 Corolla LE Automatic has 61.7K miles on it! Perhaps we should start a thread called "Low Mileage Corollas!" BTW I had an 8th gen. ('01 LE 5-speed) for two years and just over 20K miles before I traded up to the 'O3. I was tired of shifting 30 times just to drive 4 miles through city traffic to get to work each day! Turns out the '03 Automatic gets better fuel economy, both city and highway, than the 5-speed did!

Larry,

Do you take the work van home??

Larry,

Do you take the work van home??

I don't drive a van, I drive a Paratransit bus. It is based on the Ford E-450 Super Duty DRW (Dual Rear Wheel) chassis, and has a very large, boxy bus coach, built either by Goshen Coach or Elkhart Coach, both companies are in Indiana. They are all 25' long, 8'wide, and 10'2" tall. We don't take them home at night; they are left in the bus yard. My company is an operating division of the State Transportation agency, but is a separate corporate entity. We are not owner operators, who would typically keep their vehicles at home. In my case, I have no room on my property to park a bus, and street parking it in my neighborhood would probably attract the disapproval of the homeowner's association.

Bikeman982

I don't drive a van, I drive a Paratransit bus. It is based on the Ford E-450 Super Duty DRW (Dual Rear Wheel) chassis, and has a very large, boxy bus coach, built either by Goshen Coach or Elkhart Coach, both companies are in Indiana. They are all 25' long, 8'wide, and 10'2" tall. We don't take them home at night; they are left in the bus yard. My company is an operating division of the State Transportation agency, but is a separate corporate entity. We are not owner operators, who would typically keep their vehicles at home. In my case, I have no room on my property to park a bus, and street parking it in my neighborhood would probably attract the disapproval of the homeowner's association.

So, with your low car mileage, your work must be close to where you live.

How many miles do you put on the Paratransit bus each day (average)??

I live 2.1 miles from work. During the months of Aprl thru September, I usually ride my Breezer Uptown 8 to work each day. It takes the same amount of time to ride the bike as it does to drive, around 15 min. I could probably walk to work in 25 min.

How far I drive at work each day can vary considerably, but I'd say the annual average would be around 135 miles per day. A lot of it depends on how much overtime I get each week. Lately, there hasn't been much.

^^^

Rollie. Now that is a CLEAN Corolla. Nice color too.

Bikeman982

Definitely a 7th generation Corolla - the best-looking body style (I am a little biased).

I have taken them apart and put them together again.

I can identify components and even most nuts and bolts and where they are on the car.

I have numerous spare parts in my yard and in my garage.

Let me know, if you need any help with it.

Hi. Just joined the site after looking through posts for the last two days. I love Corollas!! I learned to drive in a 1977 4-door Corolla, then moved on to a 1984 Corolla. Followed by a 1976 2-door Corolla. My parents had a 1989 Corolla which I drive a lot but never owned. They also had a 1990 two wheel Toyota pickup. After the '84 Corolla I had a 1985 two door hatch Tercel. After that I had a 1984 two door hatch Corolla SR5. Then I moved on to a 1991 2-door coupe Corolla SR5, and a 1994 Camry. I currently own a 2003 Corolla S.

So, as you can see I had many Corollas and Toyotas. I love the Corolla and will probably drive one for the rest of my life. A lot of the cars I had were hand me downs or purchases in the latter years of the cars life. Here is a break down of the car's usage and demise:

1977 Corolla: had been a family car bought new. I aquired it 1991, The body quit long before the engine did and was retired to a junk yard with somewhere between 150,000-200,000 miles.

1984 Corolla: This was also a family car which was in my brother's possesion prior to me getting it, Strong engine, but body quit, over 200,000 miles at retire to junk yard.

1976 Corolla: Bought on the cheap from brother's fiance, body quit strong engine retired to junk yard with over 200,000 miles.

1985 Tercel: Bought from my sister totaled by a stop sign runner, had over 100,000 miles at its demise.

1984 Corolla SR5: Body died, was able to drive it to junk yard with 200,000+ miles, but had to use emergency brake only!

1991 Corolla SR5: Bought from dealer with 49,000 miles. Body was rough at over 200,000 miles. Retired to junk yard before my deployment to Iraq.

1994 Camry: 170,000+ miles when ex-wife took it...final outcome unknown.

2003 Corolla S: Purchased 2 years ago with under 50,000 miles, currently has 106,000 and running strong body still strong too!

My parents 1989 Corolla had over 400,000 miles on it when it went to its final resting place. That car needed no major repairs in that time, surprisingly it didn't even need a clutch replaced. Amazing car!

Their 1990 truck is still running with over 200,000 miles...body is almost gone, lol but it runs great.

They currently have two Corollas one with just under 200,000 miles and a relatively new 2008.

Man, I love Corollas!

Ranger:

Welcome to the forum! That was a pretty impressive list of Corollas. I notice a definite trend toward their bodies failing at around 200,000 miles while the engines were still going strong. Says a lot for the durability of Toyota's engines!

Enjoy the forum and we'll be looking forward to your posts!

I do live in the northeast and the winters are hard on the cars (road salt). No real problems yet with my 2003 in terms of rust. Maybe they got some of the rust issues sorted. I am glad to have found this site and have already found much useful info.

Bikeman982

No rust in my area - your cars would have lasted almost forever!

Topic List: Go to Everything Else