Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By K_Watson, February 17, 2009

K_Watson

Hello again. I have decided to replace my Prizm's radio and eventually speakers. I already have the install kit and harness and the headunit is on it's way, but I haven't chosen speakers yet.

I decided to measure the clearances around the speakers, so I took off the door panel and I noticed the speaker appears to be rivited in. I know I will likely have to drill it out but what then, do I have to fabricate a mounting bracket?

Also I cannot for the life of me figure out how to remove the rear speakers. How are they removed?

The rear speakers, if setup like on the Corolla - you will have to remove the rear seatback and lift up the parcel shelf. I've seen some able to peel up the parcel shelf without removing the seatback, but it is a little tight. Once you have the parcel shelf off - you will notice the screws holding down the mounting ring.

As for the front speakers - you will have to either reuse the existing mounting rings around the OEM speakers or build new ones yourself. Some speakers are available with a universal mounting plate - though usually with smaller drivers. Most have been able to reuse the existing ones (I just modified the ones I had to fit my new speakers) or get some sheetmetal plate, screws, adhesive, and some MDF rings and fab one up.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)