Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By muzak, January 19, 2009

For the past several months I have been getting a recorded phone call saying my warranty is about to expire and this is the last chance to renew. Well, the last chance happens a couple of times a week and they even have my cell phone number now. I've only been home once when they called live and pressed the button to be taken off the list....only to be told that my call will be answered in the order it was received.

This happens to our Echos as well and not only Toyotas. Several people at work with Fords, Chevy, etc. as old as '02 get the same crap. Toyota tells me it is a marketing firm in the States that has sold our information to someone else.

It's not a scam, but someone is trying to sell us warranties and I wonder is anyone else gets this same crap!

My wife gets them all the time - they keep calling all times of the day - I just have her ignore most of them. CallerID default_biggrin

I used to get them on the Corolla, as it was closing in on the end of the warranty term - once it went past the warranty period - the calls still came in, but were less frequent. I'm pretty sure it wasn't the paperwork I signed with the Toyota dealership (i.e. Toyota or the dealership is not 100% at fault) as I've moved, and changed numbers, since I bought the car and never updated the address with the dealership - only e-mail contact for recalls and such. My feeling is it probably my local DMV or insurance company, sold my address and info - as they are the only ones that know what car I have and where I currently reside.

At my work they run through all 700 phone numbers one after another calling each person... Most people hang up as its an automated machine, however on occasion my co worker stay on the line and have a good time with them... Once time he asked the lady if they would warranty his 1986 era GMC truck, the lady said they could not and asked if he had any newer vehicles... He rattled off a similarly aged vehicle and the lady told him he needed to purchase a newer vehicle and then hung up!

Ive told them time and time again to stop calling my phones it doesn’t work.. They usually hang up when I ask them for an address to their legal department…

Be weary of anything they will try to sell you, most likely it will have a million exclusions, require you to pre certify your vehicle, and cost an arm and a leg…

These, and all extended warranty schemes, are just a means of exploiting people's fear and ignorance in order to generate revenue without producing any valuable goods or services in the process. This should be ILLEGAL. It preys on people who don't know any better -- and believe me, there are enough of them out there to keep these guys very comfortably profitable. Ordinarily, I'm not in favor of the intervention of government in business, but stuff like this simply must be regulated out of existence.

These, and all extended warranty schemes, are just a means of exploiting people's fear and ignorance in order to generate revenue without producing any valuable goods or services in the process. This should be ILLEGAL. It preys on people who don't know any better -- and believe me, there are enough of them out there to keep these guys very comfortably profitable. Ordinarily, I'm not in favor of the intervention of government in business, but stuff like this simply must be regulated out of existence.

The Toyota Financial Services extended warranty is good and can be bought from most Toyota dealers within the 3/36 warranty period.

Good deals can be found if the dealer didn't sell you the car since it's found money. Discounts of 50% are common.

Stay away from non-factory warranty plans. These companies fail in a heartbeat.

Just tell them you traded up to a Bentley, they can't guarantee those.

When I first bought my '00 Corolla in March of '06, I got so many of those extended warranty offers, it was unreal! They were from several different 3rd party warranty companies and they used many different sales tactics, from automated calls that told me that my warranty was over, or about to end and that I shouldn't make the mistake of driving without a warranty, as well as many, many post cards that told me to contact them as soon as possible, because, again, I was about to lose "important" vehicle coverage!! I also got several "official-looking" letters basically offering the same thing!!! In short, it's all just a ploy to get you to send them money for potential repairs that probably won't happen in the first place!! These warranties are rarely worth anything at all.

As a final thought. We have a '97 Prizm that was bought brand new and although it has only 53K miles on it, we have never had it a repair shop for a mechanical breakdown ever!!!! The only things that have been done to it have been tires, brake relining, battery and fluid changes! None of which would have been covered on any extended warranty contract.

Best thing is to take that money and put it in YOUR bank, not theirs!!!!

Hope this helps,

timkedz.

Topic List