Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Thinking About Buying A Car On Craigslist

By twinky64, January 18, 2009

I just got rear ended. I saw on craigslist, somebody is selling a 2000 toyota celica GT-S. After I contacted the individual via email, the car is actually located in Manhattan, NY waiting to be shipped to sacramento, CA. Thing is, the owner of the vehicle does not want the car anymore so the owner is willing to ship it to whomever decides to purchase the car.

Here's where it sounds awkward; the car will be shipped with a trucking service called American Shippers. Thats fine. However, once the vehicle is shipped to my property, I have 5 days to decide if I want the car. If I decide that I do not want the vehicle, I ship it back "free of charge"; as in I do not pay any shipping fees and I am refunded 100%. What is everybody's take on that?

The owner gave me the vin number and I ran a carfax report. The report is clean and free of any accidents. I suppose the catch is that it has about 180,000 on the 2zzge. That really never worried me since my previous car had about 40,000 additional miles on the 1zzfe and still has good compression.

Max

Trust but verify. Found out all you can about the trucking/shipping service.

I just got rear ended. I saw on craigslist, somebody is selling a 2000 toyota celica GT-S. After I contacted the individual via email, the car is actually located in Manhattan, NY waiting to be shipped to sacramento, CA. Thing is, the owner of the vehicle does not want the car anymore so the owner is willing to ship it to whomever decides to purchase the car.

Here's where it sounds awkward; the car will be shipped with a trucking service called American Shippers. Thats fine. However, once the vehicle is shipped to my property, I have 5 days to decide if I want the car. If I decide that I do not want the vehicle, I ship it back "free of charge"; as in I do not pay any shipping fees and I am refunded 100%. What is everybody's take on that?

The owner gave me the vin number and I ran a carfax report. The report is clean and free of any accidents. I suppose the catch is that it has about 180,000 on the 2zzge. That really never worried me since my previous car had about 40,000 additional miles on the 1zzfe and still has good compression.

I couldn't find a web site for "American Shippers." Did you mean American Auto Shipping?

Bikeman982

I live close to Sacramento - you want me to check out the car??

At the top of the CraigsList "For Sale" page you will see this warning.

OFFERS TO SHIP CARS ARE 100% FRAUDULENT

And this link...................

http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams

I love CraigsList and use it frequently....you just need to be careful and not trust TOO much.

Jay in MA

]

This is an email I've received from ebay motors. The seller is planning to use ebay motors. The following is just a part of the ebay confirmation. ebay-center@safe-department-transactions.com

"When payment is received, it will be verified and secured into a non-interest bearing trust account. Payment verification process usually takes less than 24 hours. After payment is secured, the Seller is authorized to ship vehicle. Your funds will not be released to the Seller until you have received and approved the merchandise you are purchasing.

The Buyer receives the vehicle and has 1 week to inspect it. If it is complete and as described, the Buyer should accept the vehicle. If he refuses the vehicle, the Buyer must ship the vehicle back to the Seller within 10 business days and the Seller will support the shipping charges.

After the inspection period is over, the Buyer must contact eBay Motors Customer Support with the result of the inspection. If the Buyer refuses the vehicle, the refund will be sent to the Buyer after the tracking number for the returned shipment is verified"

I have her address and name as well. The payment is to be made via bank-to-bank wire transfer.

Is it being shipped to Sacramento specifically for you to look at or is it going there anyways for another reason?

Shipping from coast to coast with fuel costs today has to be $1200 to $1500.

This just smells funny.

SCAM SCAM SCAM! Don't do it. It is too fishy.

Ask if you can touch the car and drive it home.

EBAY does not handle money, does not offer services to hold money until someone gets their goods.

My advice.. stay away unless you want to donate money to someone.

Thanks, I will not proceed with the transaction.

Bikeman982

The advantage(s) of Craigs list is that the items for sale are fairly local.

That gives you an opportunity to check out the merchandise in person.

If you like it - buy it, if not walk away.

Don't send money.

There are way too many scams that will soon part you from your money and not deliver anything except a total loss.

Be very wary of deals that sound too god to be true - they are probably scams.

If you do send money - be advised that you may not ever see it again.

Topic List: Go to Everything Else