Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By RAV4EVR, December 19, 2008 in Pre-1997 Toyota Corolla and Geo Prizm

See every reply in these pages:

Guest tiko74

would you please tell the brand of the mount. I changed to Anchor, but after I took the car from shop I felt fibration and ahful sound coming from engine compartment. so I am thinking that it is due to brand/manufacturer issue

would you please tell the brand of the mount. I changed to Anchor, but after I took the car from shop I felt fibration and ahful sound coming from engine compartment. so I am thinking that it is due to brand/manufacturer issue

I've used Anchor mounts for years without a problem, and most recently on a '94 Corolla. They are a major manufacturer of aftermarket motor and transmission mounts. I would suspect an incorrect installation or damage done during installation.

I've used Anchor mounts for years without a problem, and most recently on a '94 Corolla. They are a major manufacturer of aftermarket motor and transmission mounts. I would suspect an incorrect installation or damage done during installation.

I finally did my right front engine mount last Friday. My harmonic balancer/crank pulley separated so while I was under there I figured I'd do the mount. I bought all 4 mounts off Ebay at least 2 years ago....maybe 3. The original appears to be viscous and the replacement is solid rubber. Man is this old car smooth and quiet now. I wish I did this a long time ago. People have walked in front of my car, pointed at the hood / grill / bumper area and laughed because the vibration was so obvious. default_biggrin

I do think Toyota could have come up with a simpler design though. I think it was 9 bolts/screws/nuts that had to be removed to swap it out.

I'll probable sell the remaining 3 mounts.

Jay in MA

Ahhhhh, now you're making me feel lazy. I need to do this. I've had them for over a year. default_biggrin

Jay in MA

Your Corolla is a real beauty! Congratulations on fixing the vibration -- I know something like that would have driven me crazy! I hope you and your Corolla enjoy many safe and quiet miles together!

Well thank you !!

I drove my wife crazy last weekend.

Everytime I started the car I looked her and said, "See... Very nice and quiet."

I agree.....

.......I would suspect an incorrect installation or damage done during installation.

My splash pans were breaking at the mounting holes from the bad vibes.

.....- god knows the damage I have done to the rest of the car from all those vibrations!

greg_t

I agree.....

.......I would suspect an incorrect installation or damage done during installation.

I inherited a 1997 Corolla with 1.6L engine/auto transmission from my wife. The car has almost 200k mi on it. After replacing the front struts (they were original) and a catalytic converter that had a hole in it, the car got quieter, but it still vibrates at idle when cold. So I'm thinking of replacing the engine mounts, starting with the front passenger one. Am I correct that there're 2 nuts that somehow need to be accessed from under the car in order to remove the mount? If so, how did you go about removing them - the space seems a bit tight.

-gt

Guest ds94vg

I HAVE, IN THE PAST, POSTED ABOUT THIS ASKING FOR HELP. 12 MONTHS LATER. 30,000 MILES LATER............ HERE WE GO ............

I had a lot of vibration in my Corolla since I bought the car a few years ago.

Today the vibration is fixed.

I can hear myself breathe.

Here is the story... If it can help you. Great !!!

If not, good luck !!

The vibration was mostly from 1000-1200 RPMS and on speeds above 75mph (not sure of RPMs.. may be 3100 plus)

When I bought the car from Florida (drove it back 800 miles to KY). It was extremely loud due to vibration.

My initial guess was a MOTOR MOUNT.

Got car checked (December 2007). Not a single mechanic thought that the MOTOR MOUNTS were bad. DEALER said..... that is how COROLLAS drive and the car is what the car is. It can not be made any better. ??????/ huh???????

(January 2008), One guy replaced my clutch plate and charged me 500 some dollars. The vibration was much better.

I drove another 30k miles miles and a few months ago, I noticed the vibration increasing due to COLD. I saw something that I had never seen before. The guy who APPARENTLY replaced my clutch plate had stuck a rubber piece in between my passenger side top motor mount.

I took it to the dealer. They took the rubber piece out and guess what.. the vibration was the same as it was a year ago. The a** h*** mechanice never needed to replace my clutch plate.

Anyhow, I had them put the rubber piece back in there.

I did some research on the net.

Some places (if u search a lot) people were talking about the passenger side motor mount, above the passenger side wheel well. People were talking about how the best money they spent in their life by replacing that motor mount.

I talked to the dealer. Dealer said that they doubt it would fix problem and I would just waste my money.

I thought about it. $200 part. $80 labor.

Decided to go for it. Original part at dealer.

Ordered it a few weeks ago. Part came in a few days.

Continued to debate.

Last night, I decided to go for it.

I replaced the part today.

Just got my car.

I am in HEAVEN. It is a 15 year old car. Because of that stupid motor mount it was loud.

I cannot hear the car drive now as it is so QUIETTTTT..............................

YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel good and bad.

I feel good that the car is not SUFFERING ANYMORE.

I feel sad that I drove my car like that for 30,000 miles.

Somebody SHOOT me.... I have said sorry to my car and I am hoping that it has forgiven me............

Looking forward to the oil change and further pampering of my car this weekend. Hopefully I can make peace with it.

I have paid $203 for the part.

$80 for labor.

Had a $125 gift card.

The best $158 I ever spent. The car not only looks new, it drives like new. Have 97k miles on it right now.

Here is my beauty........................

http://www.freewebs....ck/DSC00849.JPG

http://www.freewebs....ck/DSC00852.JPG

Guest ds94vg

I HAVE, IN THE PAST, POSTED ABOUT THIS ASKING FOR HELP. 12 MONTHS LATER. 30,000 MILES LATER............ HERE WE GO ............

I had a lot of vibration in my Corolla since I bought the car a few years ago.

Today the vibration is fixed.

I can hear myself breathe.

Here is the story... If it can help you. Great !!!

If not, good luck !!

The vibration was mostly from 1000-1200 RPMS and on speeds above 75mph (not sure of RPMs.. may be 3100 plus)

When I bought the car from Florida (drove it back 800 miles to KY). It was extremely loud due to vibration.

My initial guess was a MOTOR MOUNT.

Got car checked (December 2007). Not a single mechanic thought that the MOTOR MOUNTS were bad. DEALER said..... that is how COROLLAS drive and the car is what the car is. It can not be made any better. ??????/ huh???????

(January 2008), One guy replaced my clutch plate and charged me 500 some dollars. The vibration was much better.

I drove another 30k miles miles and a few months ago, I noticed the vibration increasing due to COLD. I saw something that I had never seen before. The guy who APPARENTLY replaced my clutch plate had stuck a rubber piece in between my passenger side top motor mount.

I took it to the dealer. They took the rubber piece out and guess what.. the vibration was the same as it was a year ago. The a** h*** mechanice never needed to replace my clutch plate.

Anyhow, I had them put the rubber piece back in there.

I did some research on the net.

Some places (if u search a lot) people were talking about the passenger side motor mount, above the passenger side wheel well. People were talking about how the best money they spent in their life by replacing that motor mount.

I talked to the dealer. Dealer said that they doubt it would fix problem and I would just waste my money.

I thought about it. $200 part. $80 labor.

Decided to go for it. Original part at dealer.

Ordered it a few weeks ago. Part came in a few days.

Continued to debate.

Last night, I decided to go for it.

I replaced the part today.

Just got my car.

I am in HEAVEN. It is a 15 year old car. Because of that stupid motor mount it was loud.

I cannot hear the car drive now as it is so QUIETTTTT..............................

YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel good and bad.

I feel good that the car is not SUFFERING ANYMORE.

I feel sad that I drove my car like that for 30,000 miles.

Somebody SHOOT me.... I have said sorry to my car and I am hoping that it has forgiven me............

Looking forward to the oil change and further pampering of my car this weekend. Hopefully I can make peace with it.

I have paid $203 for the part.

$80 for labor.

Had a $125 gift card.

The best $158 I ever spent. The car not only looks new, it drives like new. Have 97k miles on it right now.

Here is my beauty........................

http://www.freewebs....ck/DSC00849.JPG

http://www.freewebs....ck/DSC00852.JPG

RAV4EVR and everyone else. Thank you for your story. I just got a 94 corolla and had the same issue. I couldn't believe how loud the vibration was. Replaced the passenger side motor mount and it's all good now. Thank you all. You were a great help.

greg_t

I agree.....

I inherited a 1997 Corolla with 1.6L engine/auto transmission from my wife. The car has almost 200k mi on it. After replacing the front struts (they were original) and a catalytic converter that had a hole in it, the car got quieter, but it still vibrates at idle when cold. So I'm thinking of replacing the engine mounts, starting with the front passenger one. Am I correct that there're 2 nuts that somehow need to be accessed from under the car in order to remove the mount? If so, how did you go about removing them - the space seems a bit tight.

-gt

Anyone?

The correct sized socket and the appropriate length extension will get you up there easily from under the car.

Work a little PB Blaster into the threads first and you shouldn't have any trouble.

I would also suggest a Haynes manual....$25 and worth the money, especially if you're new to this.

Good luck,

Jay in MA

I agree.....

-gt

Anyone?

Guest chrstphrm

I recently purchased a 2005 Corolla XRS with only 13K miles on it and somewhere in the dash (can't seem to pinpoint it) near the center maybe under the radio there is a buzzing vibration at 3500 - 4500 rpms. Do you think your fix will cure this? Or was your vibration under the hood? ANy input would be greatly appreciated. The zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz is killing me!

Thank you very much RAV4EVR ...... finally i was able to find a solution to my long outstanding vibration issue in my 2007 Toyota corolla.....

Topic List: Go to Pre-1997 Toyota Corolla and Geo Prizm