Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Does The 2009 1.8 Liter Corolla Engine Have Timing Chain

by enotoga, November 3, 2008 in Toyota Corolla (2009 until 2018-19 “TNGA”)

I'm wondering if the 2009 corolla with 1.8 liter engine has a timing chain like the 2004 model does. also, I would appreciate any thoughts on buying the new 2009? Is it risky to buy this first year model?

I don't want a timing belt - that's what I liked about the 2004 - no belt!

• 1,424 posts
I'm wondering if the 2009 corolla with 1.8 liter engine has a timing chain like the 2004 model does. also, I would appreciate any thoughts on buying the new 2009? Is it risky to buy this first year model?

It will have a chain. Toyota is switching everything to chains because of the lower maintenance. They would not go back to a belt.

2003 was the first year for the 9th generation Corolla. PM BobLevine and ask him how his early build 2003 model held up. IIRC it had numerous issues with the weatherstripping, sulfur farts and a couple of other issues. My 2005 had none of those problems, but it was the first year of the electronic throttle and was built in March of '05, and so it suffered from a couple of issues with the throttle programming that required me to turn the car off and restart it to reset.

Modern cars are so complex that they will never be perfect in the first couple of months of production. If you require cars that are as close to perfect as possible it is better to wait it out. Remember that if you buy a first year car you are doing R and D for the manufacturer. If you're not into that kind of thing, wait until right before the 2010 model come out, by the Toyota will have fixed any little quarks that the early models may have exhibited.

It will have a chain. Toyota is switching everything to chains because of the lower maintenance. They would not go back to a belt.

2003 was the first year for the 9th generation Corolla. PM BobLevine and ask him how his early build 2003 model held up. IIRC it had numerous issues with the weatherstripping, sulfur farts and a couple of other issues. My 2005 had none of those problems, but it was the first year of the electronic throttle and was built in March of '05, and so it suffered from a couple of issues with the throttle programming that required me to turn the car off and restart it to reset.

Modern cars are so complex that they will never be perfect in the first couple of months of production. If you require cars that are as close to perfect as possible it is better to wait it out. Remember that if you buy a first year car you are doing R and D for the manufacturer. If you're not into that kind of thing, wait until right before the 2010 model come out, by the Toyota will have fixed any little quarks that the early models may have exhibited.

My 2003 was traded at 57K for a 2008 CE last December.

Reliable car. Got $7,500 from Carmax and this was a base 5 speed CE.

Here are the issues:

1. Door weatherstripping design issue. Very quick wear through. Improved material in the 05 but still no cigar. Found a solution by using black electrical tape on the vulnerable areas before the new gaskets wore out.

2. Engine revving up and down in cold warmup. Finally fixed by TSB reflash in 2007.

3. Clock failed - extended warranty fixed - Part $200

4. Terrible serpentine belt noise. Three new belts didn't solve for long. Changed tensioner on TSB. Seemed good.

5. Manual window regulators on both front doors failed twice - warranty fix

6. Uncorrectible front brake squeal. Never fixed. My 2009 has much softer pads that may solve. TSB went from pads to rotors to calipers. Since only free up to 36K, dealer said not to do it.

7. Top plastic fabric on both doors bubbled up. Krazy glue helped.

8. Famous sulphur farts - fixed free by TSB

Design issues. Even at Toyota, don't be the one to buy first year. That's why I got an 08 not an 09.

Max

My 03 has been completely trouble-free.

My '09 CE automatic is a September 2008 build. I drive about 17000 miles a year. It will be interesting to see what sort of bugs arise - if any - with my car being built a few months after start of production. No issues yet other than a squeaky trunk floor when I have items >25lbs loaded. My dad's '05 Echo Hatchback had the same squeak and it was just where the foam support was seated.

my 03 CE has been relatively trouble free.

i've just done regular maintenence (change oil, brake pads, fluids, etc) and i have 110K (knock on wood, no major problems so far). also, i haven't had any of the problems listed above.

the biggest problem i've had so far was with a faulty relay that caused the on-dash light sensor (which automatically turns your headlights on when it's dark outside...IMO an unneccesary feature). Anyways, very rarely, when below 35 degrees F or so, during the night, somehow the relay would activate (with the car turned off) and turn my headlights on. Then, when I tried to start the car in the morning the battery would be dead (if I got a jump, no problems until the next time it occurred). Took it to the dealer and they replaced the relay.

However, if you can wait a year before purchasing a car, it may not be a bad idea to wait for next year's model. In my case, my prior car was breaking down and I couldn't wait any longer.

If you can't wait any longer, you may want to confirm with the dealership or Toyota directly on the specific differences between the newest generation and last year's model (especially with the engine and transmission). If these are the same, the differences could be very minor and ease your concerns on purchasing a first year model change.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Regards, Mark

friendly_jacek

One has to remember that 03 had the same engine 1ZZ-FE (with minor changes) that was introduced in 1998. As everyone knows, when 1zz-fe came out, there were all kinds of oil consumption problems (for various reasons) that were not completely fixed before 2002 (MY2003). 2009 has a brand new engine. Does anyone have a link to good writeup and specs on the new engine?

Btw I forgot, when did toyota switch from belt to chain on the corolla?

Max

'03.

K_Watson

'03.

Can't be. My '98 has a chain. I think it was some time in the early 90's that they switched.

'03.

Can't be. My '98 has a chain. I think it was some time in the early 90's that they switched.

No, my 1997 had a belt, my 1998 doesn't.

98 it is then. Thanks Sonix. Thats what I assumed but I didnt want to post it since I wasnt sure because you know what is said when you assume, you make an a$$ out of u and me.

Here are the issues:

1. Door weatherstripping design issue. Very quick wear through. Improved material in the 05 but still no cigar. Found a solution by using black electrical tape on the vulnerable areas before the new gaskets wore out.

2. Engine revving up and down in cold warmup. Finally fixed by TSB reflash in 2007.

4. Terrible serpentine belt noise. Three new belts didn't solve for long. Changed tensioner on TSB. Seemed good.

6. Uncorrectible front brake squeal. Never fixed. My 2009 has much softer pads that may solve. TSB went from pads to rotors to calipers. Since only free up to 36K, dealer said not to do it.

Design issues. Even at Toyota, don't be the one to buy first year. That's why I got an 08 not an 09.

Bob,

Did you get the TSB for the cold weather starting fixed under warranty? I have the same issue on my '06 and am well out of the factory warranty... wondering if it will be something I'll have to pay for (I hate having to bring my cars to the shop).

Thanks!

Here are the issues:

Bob,

Did you get the TSB for the cold weather starting fixed under warranty? I have the same issue on my '06 and am well out of the factory warranty... wondering if it will be something I'll have to pay for (I hate having to bring my cars to the shop).

Thanks!

As I recall, it was done free on the 8/80 emissions warranty.

Just a reflash, so you might ask dealer the price if you are beyond the emissions coverage.

It stopped the silly racing during cold weather warmup just before I traded for an 08 CE.

I have a 2003 LE, automatic, built in Japan (100% Japanese parts content), J-VIN, built May '02 and purchased Oct. 28, '02.

I've had hardly any of the issues Bob Levine has had with his '03, except for the serpentine belt, which was changed twice, the second time including a new tensioner under the TSB, but out of warranty, so it was on my dime.

I still have the car, and it is pretty much perfect. It still hasn't turned over 64,000 miles yet! I've done all maintenance myself except for a couple of radiator flushes and new front brake pads and rotors at around 48K miles, and the serp belts/tensioner. The brake job also included a brake fluid flush.

My Corolla had to be one of the first few thousand or so on the American roads for the '03 model, and I would say I've been quite lucky. I cannot understand how Bob had so many issues with his. I particularly don't understand the door weatherstripping problem, as I don't come anywhere near the door weatherstripping seal at any time while entering/exiting the vehicle.

One thing that's putting me off of the idea of an '09 model is the fact that they have apparently switched from a spin-on type oil filter to a cartridge filter. Since I do all my own fluids maintenance, this would significantly complicate the otherwise simple task of an oil/filter change. From the descriptions I've read of the oil filter cartridge replacement procedure, it would seem to have been implemented to discourage shade-tree mechanics from doing even this simple maintenance procedure, and taking the car to the dealer instead.

My present plan is to keep my '03 Corolla for at least another year, possibly replacing it in the fall of '10. That would be eight years, and by then, I don't expect this car to have more than 72,000 miles on it. Then again, as long as no seriously costly maintenance issues have arisen by then, and I don't expect any, there really is no reason not to keep it long term. It is performing it's basic function, still looks and rides almost like new. In fact, when I get it cleaned up and waxed, the only thing that gives away it's age are the increasingly cloudy plastic headlight covers. I've tried cleaning them up with toothpaste, which helps a little, but seems to need to be redone at fairly frequent intervals.

Therefore, based on my experience as the owner of a VERY early issue of a first model year Corolla, there wouldn't seem to be any real problems with doing so. I think any serious maintenance issues are likely to surface well within the warranty period. I, however, had only one serpentine belt replaced under warranty. That's nothing. I would have traded to an '09 Corolla this year had it not been for the cartridge-type oil filter issue. Seriously.

Guest Eduardo

Could somebody tell me if I can remove the oil pan to reach out to the cranksheft on my 2009 corolla (1.8) with engine in chassis. thanks I appreciate Your respanse

Ed.

Guest Eduardo

ok

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla (2009 until 2018-19 “TNGA”)