Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

95 Transmission Shifting Question

by Ry an October 8, 2008

I've got a '95 Corolla, 1.8 with automatic trans. It has around 155,000 miles and has been running great since you all helped me figure out a spark plug & wire problem a while back.

The current problem is that it has had problems shifting into the 3rd gear on the freeway. This has only happened twice, once this morning and also a couple of weeks ago. The first time it happened, I slowed down and gave it a few minutes then it shifted up to its highest gear. This morning it wasn't shifting all the way up again, so I popped the shifter between D and 2 a few times which got it to shift up to 3rd.

Is this an indication of a big problem to come? Is there anything I can check on? Thanks for your ideas.

Ryan

check fluid level and condition, the owners manual outlines how to check the fluid correctly.

check fluid level and condition, the owners manual outlines how to check the fluid correctly.

I'm not very knowledgeable about transmission stuff but the fluid looked OK to me, light red and not dirty. It did look on the low side, though, at the bottom notch of "HOT" while running. Checked after my 40 mile commute. Maybe I should top it off? I'm not even sure where to add fluid, though.

I don't think would apply to your Corolla by the way you drive, (mostly highway) but, on my '97 Prizm, it won't shift into 4th gear until the engine temperature gets halfway up to the normal operating range.

Also, my 2000 Corolla doesn't like to change into 3rd gear (also 4 speed auto) when it's cold either, it really winds out until it warms up..........

Just a thought..........

Topic List