Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Oil Change 1999 Corolla

Guest Munchausen

Folks,

My son just got a 1999 Toyota Corolla. I'm used to GM cars, e.g., my 1984 Chevy Suburban, so I'm learning about his new car. I'm told it's not nearly as straightforward to change the oil in a Toyota Corolla as it is in my vehicle.

I wish to learn how to change the oil and where the grease fittings are.

Could someone assist me, please?

Thanks in advance.

Bikeman982

Folks,

My son just got a 1999 Toyota Corolla. I'm used to GM cars, e.g., my 1984 Chevy Suburban, so I'm learning about his new car. I'm told it's not nearly as straightforward to change the oil in a Toyota Corolla as it is in my vehicle.

Thanks in advance.

I recommend you purchase a repair manual, such as Chiltons or Haynes for your year Corolla.

Oil changes are very simple - drain old oil (drain plug is on the bottom of the oil pan), (install drain plug) add new oil.

Grease fittings are ????

Guest Munchausen

Thanks, Bikeman982.

Folks,

Thanks in advance.

I recommend you purchase a repair manual, such as Chiltons or Haynes for your year Corolla.

Oil changes are very simple - drain old oil (drain plug is on the bottom of the oil pan), (install drain plug) add new oil.

Grease fittings are ????

Bikeman982

I haven't done the grease fittings, so I can't help you there.

The best way is to jack the car up really high and get underneath and look (if you have no manual).

I have a friend at a Midas store and he lets me put my cars up on the lift.

It is good to check everything on the underside of the car when it is on the lift.

Oil changes are pretty straight-forward.

Of course, you should change the oil filter (at least every other oil change) at the same time.

What??? The '99 Corolla is about as simple as an oil change can get! No extra grease fittings - most cars have not had them in a while.

I agree with Mark.....it's the easiest thing ever....just make sure that the engine cools down 1st cuz the oil filter is usually below the exhaust manifold.....also i'd recommend to do a flushing on the engine before adding the new oil....

I agree with Mark.....it's the easiest thing ever....just make sure that the engine cools down 1st cuz the oil filter is usually below the exhaust manifold.....also i'd recommend to do a flushing on the engine before adding the new oil....

What does flushing the engine do?

Do NOT flush your engine, unless there is a problem. That is just asking for trouble. Flushing just involves solvent or even a very thin motor oil that you add to the crankcase and run for a set time. It will dislodge / dissolve deposits that are causing oil circulation issues from oil gelation (sludge) or varnish buildup. Most engines are fine with a plain drain and refill - want to keep the engine clean, just change the oil on a routine basis. Problem with flushes, are that they are very thin (provide little to no protection for the engine) and can dislodge lots of crap at once (will clog the oil filter and it may go into a bypass mode - circulating dirty oil).

When I change my oil, after I pull the drain plug I wait until the draining slows down to a dribble. I then pour in 1/4 to 1/2 a qt of new oil with the plug still removed. The new oil, it does grab some additional contaminates as it drains out. Its completely wasting good oil, and Im using Mobile 1 Synth so it costs about $2.20 for 1/2 a qt…

Beyond that there is a one time use washer you need to also replace on the oil plug. The dealer has a fancy metal washer for a buck or two, or they also sell a fibrous washer for like fifty cents.

The oil filter comes off last, I'm always trying to come up with a way to remove it without getting oil every where… Most times I punch a screw driver into the bottom in an attempt to drain some of the oil out…

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)