Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Does This Look Fixable?

by Bikeman982, June 20, 2008

See every reply in these pages:

My plan would be to purchase it for a low price, change the fender and tires and fix the engine, then sell it at a profit.I probably would not keep it, since I am more of a Corolla guy.

That would be something that I would be tempted to do, if I ran across an Acura.

Even for an older car - very popular car - should have no problems selling it. If you get the car for a good price, able to find parts and hopefully findout that it has an inexpensive engine issue - you could turn out a huge profit.

I agree with Contour - parts tend to be on the pricier side, just because of the name. As for some of the electronics and engine components, you might be able to find an interchangeable part from a donor Honda and save a bundle. Can't hurt to ask how much.

Bikeman982

My plan would be to purchase it for a low price, change the fender and tires and fix the engine, then sell it at a profit.I probably would not keep it, since I am more of a Corolla guy.

That would be something that I would be tempted to do, if I ran across an Acura.

Even for an older car - very popular car - should have no problems selling it. If you get the car for a good price, able to find parts and hopefully findout that it has an inexpensive engine issue - you could turn out a huge profit.

I agree with Contour - parts tend to be on the pricier side, just because of the name. As for some of the electronics and engine components, you might be able to find an interchangeable part from a donor Honda and save a bundle. Can't hurt to ask how much.

Exactly what I was thinking.

The car (at one time) had a for sale sign on the window - asking $1500 or B.O.

I will offer about $600 and see how receptive they are to that.

First I must find out if there are any DMV fees - I do not want to pay their late registration fees.

They could amount to hundreds of dollars (in CA it is 162% times the reg. fee per year).

I am not sure about other Honda parts compatibility, but I can find out about it.

More to follow.

• 1,424 posts

If you're lucky the car will be 1994 to 2001 model and an LS, RS or GS. Those years are the most common and the sedans and coupes share the same engines as long as the trims and years are the same. If it is a GS-R or Type R you will have a harder time finding parts for it and they will be more expensive but you can get more out of the car.

Any 1994 or later Acura Integra, but especially the coupe will bring pretty good money because they are great cars. If it is a later model car with some options it will be a really easy sale to some young kid or a commuter.

Bikeman982

If you're lucky the car will be 1994 to 2001 model and an LS, RS or GS. Those years are the most common and the sedans and coupes share the same engines as long as the trims and years are the same. If it is a GS-R or Type R you will have a harder time finding parts for it and they will be more expensive but you can get more out of the car.

Any 1994 or later Acura Integra, but especially the coupe will bring pretty good money because they are great cars. If it is a later model car with some options it will be a really easy sale to some young kid or a commuter.

What if it is a 1993?

Depends on what trim level the 1993 Acura Integra. Hopefully it is the GS-R - as its engine is highly sought after for swaps. Also one of the rarest ones to find in the states (~ 5000 cars??). But it will share body panels with te more common RS, LS and GS trims. The 1994-2001 where the very popular 3rd gen of this model line - the parts under the hood are probably interchangeable - but the body is different.

• 1,424 posts
What if it is a 1993?

The 1993 is also a great car (all Integras are as long as they are in good shape)

It is simply the older body style, which is not as sexy, but still pretty sleek.

You should have no problem selling it to a young person or commuter.

If you're lucky it might just be a GS-R, which will make it an easy sale.

Bikeman982

What if it is a 1993?

The 1993 is also a great car (all Integras are as long as they are in good shape)

It is simply the older body style, which is not as sexy, but still pretty sleek.

You should have no problem selling it to a young person or commuter.

If you're lucky it might just be a GS-R, which will make it an easy sale.

First, I have to convince the people who have it, to sell it.

It has been sitting in their driveway for two years.

They bought another car (a Kia) and don't have any incentive (and money?) to fix the Honda.

Bikeman982

Here are some pictures -

https://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h256/Bik...82/PA240154.jpg

https://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h256/Bik...82/PA240153.jpg

https://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h256/Bik...82/PA240152.jpg

Can anyone tell what year it is from the pictures?? I believe it is a 1993 or 1994???

I just called the DMV and it has a Non-operational (non-op) status, which means there is no late fees due.

The owner paid $60 and cannot drive it on the road until fixed and registered for operation.

• 1,424 posts
Here are some pictures - https://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h256/Bik...82/PA240154.jpg

https://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h256/Bik...82/PA240153.jpg

https://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h256/Bik...82/PA240152.jpg

Can anyone tell what year it is from the pictures?? I believe it is a 1993 or 1994???

I just called the DMV and it has a Non-operational (non-op) status, which means there is no late fees due.

The owner paid $60 and cannot drive it on the road until fixed and registered for operation.

The car can be anywhere from a '89 to a 1993. It looks like it is in good enough shape that it is a 1993 or an excellent 1992. Unfortunately I can tell you from the black trim that it is not a GS-R (the GS-R had body colored trim). That will make parts easier to find for it, but you will also get less money for it when you go to sell. Given that it has a sunroof, it is probably a LS. It could also be a GS (but I think those came with body colored trim so it probably isn't) The RS is a low level trim model that probably would not have a sunroof, so it probably isn't a RS either.

That is good for you because the LS is a good middle of the road model that you should be able to get people to snap up.

Keep us posted on what you find out about the car and what you will plan to do with it if you can acquire it.

Bikeman982

The car has no letters on it, so I have no idea whether it is a RS or LS or other.

So far, I have not approached the owner and am debating on where to start my offer.

I don't want to offer an amount too low and get laughed away and shot down, or too high and get an instant "Paid too much" for it car.

More to follow.

Bikeman982

No offer made on the car yet.

It might not be worth purchasing, if it would take too much to fix.

It is also getting older and less likely to pass the ever stricker CA emission testing.

The "for sale" sign is gone, but the car still sits in the driveway.

I did get a newer Acura, so I will see how I like them.

Bikeman982

No reply to my e-mails and no call from the owner.I am now looking for another car to work on.

There is a 1993 Honda Acura Integra that has been sitting in my neighbors driveway for 2 years.

I am thinking of making them an offer on the car to see if they will sell it.

It needs a fender, tires and some engine work.

Anyone familiar with this kind of car???

I never got the money for the hood ($100), even though I dropped it off.

I drove by the house and the car has it installed and the owner is driving the car (has tags and looks street legal).

I don't expect to ever hear from the owner.

The Acura is still sitting in my neighbor's diveway.

I have a truck I am working on and a Suzuki Esteem, so the Acura can wait.

It probably is not worth fixing.

Bikeman982

No reply to my e-mails and no call from the owner.I am now looking for another car to work on.

There is a 1993 Honda Acura Integra that has been sitting in my neighbors driveway for 2 years.

I am thinking of making them an offer on the car to see if they will sell it.

It needs a fender, tires and some engine work.

Anyone familiar with this kind of car???

I drove by the house and the car has it installed and the owner is driving the car (has tags and looks street legal).

I have a truck I am working on and a Suzuki Esteem, so the Acura can wait.

Bikeman982

My latest car is a 1995 Honda Civic EX that has a blown head gasket.

Repair in progress.

Bikeman982

Changed the engine, since the old one had a cracked cylinder wall and not a bad head gasket.

Still working on getting it smogged and registered.

Topic List