Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By nagykaldi, May 21, 2008

See every reply in these pages:

Hi Guys

Did anyone ever find a solution to this? no one has posted a solution that has worked. I am facing the exact same problem as mentioned by ShaR:

Further I noticed this sound doesn't come with the cold engine. It comes after the engine is warmed up, and if i try keep the rpm around 1600-1800 only. Above or below that RPM no rattling sound.

Please do let us know.

Thank you

Nope, TPS sensor will show up with different issues. Possible you have extensive carbon deposits on the piston head / combustion chamber.

Did you pull the plugs out - give them a read? What did you use for engine flush? Usually I'll resort to that as a last ditch fix, not to diagnose an issue. As you've likely gathered from the various posts here and other forums - this particular engine is very picky about replacement parts, electrical noise, and oil quality.

What happens when you disconnect the OCV solenoid electrical connection when the engine is running - is there a marked change in idle quality?

Hi Guys

Did anyone ever find a solution to this? no one has posted a solution that has worked. I am facing the exact same problem as mentioned by ShaR:

Further I noticed this sound doesn't come with the cold engine. It comes after the engine is warmed up, and if i try keep the rpm around 1600-1800 only. Above or below that RPM no rattling sound.

Please do let us know.

Thank you

Hi fishexpo101, Thank you for the reply. default_smile

1. Yes, I replaced plugs recently about two months ago. I pulled them out and inspect them. They seems to be fine.

2. Yes, I did try the engine flush, had no luck with it as well. Rattling sound continues to come.

3. I tried different octane level fuel, there is no change in rattling sound.

4. When I disconnect the VVT solenoid electrical connection, rattling sound disappeared.

5. Further I noticed this sound doesn't come with the cold engine. It comes after the engine is warmed up, and if i try keep the rpm around 1600-1800 only. Above or below that RPM no rattling sound.

default_smile

Any guesses?

Thank you,

/ShaR

Hi ShaR

Did you resolve this issue? What was the solution?

Thank you

That would confirm it being the VVT timing gear... Does it sound like a diesel engine at all while idling? Can you let us hear it at 1600-1800 rpm as well?

• 110 posts

When I go up a hill in my 2003 Corolla CE, I press the little button below the button used to shift gears. This will disable overdrive (or enable it if disabled). I recommend this to all Corolla drivers in my area. You will have better performance going up. default_smile

Guest Mark

I do have same issue (2002 toyota corolla 1.6 manual, Philippines, we bought it 2014 with 195,000km and runs good) but only same with nagykaldi when revving up, 2100 rpm above knock or rattling occurs regardless of that speed but could disappears somehow when I push (or they called as Wide Open Throttle) more or stay more with that rev level but still always turns back. I think I'll go with fixhexpo suggestion first. That is try to load higher octane (because I already tried 97% this 2 years ago and it works but does it totally repair the issue, maybe not it's just octane I think) or I/you may stay with lower octane and try (WOT) that high rpm, speed (90 to 100 kph I think) and gear selection (3rd I think). This could blow away such carbon build up, it's too bad that I rarely hit 2000rpm due to fuel consumption I always want to make more way to lessen the consumption of our corolla which probably led to this carbon build. Roughly runs 10-11km/Lit at city and  I'm not so sure at highway but it runs like 17-19km/Lit.

It's been 4 years since I'm driving this car (I'm a light pedal driver) and rarely hit high revolutions always keeps it only about 1600 to 1800 in city drive (no knocks or rattling sound), but somehow I do in highways only and rattling occurs. I'm going to observe what happen if I'll try his suggestion, and give some more WOT for our corrolla.

• 110 posts

Might just be something simple as a loose heat shield.

Guest Mark

Hi Corolla9thGen thanks for the response, and what is loose heat shield by the way?

• 110 posts

There are metal parts (shields) under car that protect it from heat. A google search for heat shield could probably explain it better.

Guest Mark

Hi Corolla9thGen thanks for the response, and what is loose heat shield by the way?

• 110 posts

There are metal parts (shields) under car that protect it from heat. A google search for heat shield could probably explain it better.

Topic List