Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Air Conditioning On 2000 Ve

by iakov, April 28, 2008

Hello all!

First of all, great forums you have here, I m very happy to find them.

I have a simple story and a question for anyone in the know.

I bought my 2000 Corolla VE when I was single and with no children. Fast forward to today. I have a wife and a small child.

We were driving around today and thought that having AC would be great for our daughter's comfort.

My question is this: how much would it be to have a dealer to install AC system in our car? Would it be cheaper to get the kit somewhere else and get an independent mechanic to install it.

Thanx to all who replies.

Hello and Welcome to the forum. To add A/C to a car that didn't have it to begin with will be an expensive proposition. Would generally cost more than what the cost up front when you first purchased the car. If you are set on keeping the car and spending the money to add A/C - this is what you could expect.

Component cost is what will make up the majority of the cost. I've seen quotes for a "factory" like A/C setup run about $1000-$1500 for a kit + factory in another $750-$1000 in labor to install it. An aftermarket setup would run considerably less - but will not run any air through the existing vents. Might be able to get the kit cheaper by buying the components separately or from a salvage yard. But from experience and from what others have done - least amount of headache was present when you bought the complete kit and had a compentent shop install it. I say one put in an older 1990's Honda for about $1700 installed - cost more than what the car was worth at the time - but the gentleman said the car had sentimental value.

Well, I went to a dealer and they told me they don't install A/C into cars with no factory A/C previously installed, so I went to independent shop who quoted $3000 to install after market system. Pretty steep actually in my view.

Well, I went to a dealer and they told me they don't install A/C into cars with no factory A/C previously installed, so I went to independent shop who quoted $3000 to install after market system. Pretty steep actually in my view.

Better trade for a car equipped as you want it.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)