Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

3 Speed To 4 Speed Swap On A 2000 Corolla Ve

by pdbq, April 20, 2008

Anyone do a swap like this yet? If so, what is required to do it? I've heard the OD transmission gets much better gas mileage on the highway because the rpms at a 60 mph cruise are like 2000 rpms.

I don't know of anyone actually having DONE it. But given that I have swapped a manual into my car - a much greater undertaking - it is definitely doable, more like an extended transmission replacement.

However, as I have said elsewhere (I don't remember on here or TN), the OD transmission needs the engine ECU to command it to shift, so you will need the ECU from a 2000-02 with OD auto. Make sure you get the entire engine wire harness intact from your donor; it will make your job MUCH easier. You also need the rear transmission mount bracket which is different for 3-speed. Of course you need a bulb in the O/D Off socket in your gauge cluster, and the O/D switch itself, and the wires to wire them all up. When you are done, sell your engine wire to someone wanting to do a manual swap. default_biggrin

The mechanical part of the swap goes just like a transmission replacement. But while the transmission is out, you also need to swap out the engine wire harness. Then you take apart the center console, change out the ECU (behind the ashtray) together with the aforementioned engine wire, run the wire from your shifter to ECU for the O/D switch if not already pre-wired, and pop the cover on your shifter so the O/D switch can go in.

There is no excuse not to do this if your transmission is shot, but you may want to think twice if your car is otherwise healthy as this is no small job. I doubt you can finish it over one weekend if you DIY, even if you have all the tools, crane and such. And a factory wiring diagram plus a repair manual is crucial to your success.

Good luck.

I don't know of anyone actually having DONE it. But given that I have swapped a manual into my car - a much greater undertaking - it is definitely doable, more like an extended transmission replacement.

However, as I have said elsewhere (I don't remember on here or TN), the OD transmission needs the engine ECU to command it to shift, so you will need the ECU from a 2000-02 with OD auto. Make sure you get the entire engine wire harness intact from your donor; it will make your job MUCH easier. You also need the rear transmission mount bracket which is different for 3-speed. Of course you need a bulb in the O/D Off socket in your gauge cluster, and the O/D switch itself, and the wires to wire them all up. When you are done, sell your engine wire to someone wanting to do a manual swap. default_biggrin

The mechanical part of the swap goes just like a transmission replacement. But while the transmission is out, you also need to swap out the engine wire harness. Then you take apart the center console, change out the ECU (behind the ashtray) together with the aforementioned engine wire, run the wire from your shifter to ECU for the O/D switch if not already pre-wired, and pop the cover on your shifter so the O/D switch can go in.

There is no excuse not to do this if your transmission is shot, but you may want to think twice if your car is otherwise healthy as this is no small job. I doubt you can finish it over one weekend if you DIY, even if you have all the tools, crane and such. And a factory wiring diagram plus a repair manual is crucial to your success.

Good luck.

Are there any other OD transmissions that could bolt in place and work? I know this is not as easy as Honda part swapping, but will be willing to try the undertaking if I have the time.

For the 8th gen - the two transmission are nearly a drop in swap (bolt pattern, mounts) - but there will be a fair amount of rewiring to be done. The 4-speed is an electronically controlled transmission, whereas the 3-speed is fluid controlled. The ECMs for the transaxles will be different and must be swapped to make this work. If you are able to get all the wiring and hardware with the A245E transaxle (ie, a half-cut) - would make the swap much easier, otherwise, it could be a nightmare to secure all the parts. You could adapt another transmission - but the amount of work would be considerably more than with a A245E swap. Just fabrication alone for such a project could run more than the cost of the vehicle. Atleast with the Toyota 4-speed, most of the hardware is worked out - you just need to get the right bits in there.

Bikeman982

I tried using a 1.8L engine and the A245E transaxle in a car that had a 1.6L and A131L transaxle (I removed them).

The transaxle was different and although the bolt pattern was the same, the depth of the housing was different.

I thought the torque converter may have been different, but it was the housing.

The engine/transaxle didn't work (electrically).

It fit physically but there was too much alteration required at the ECM.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)