Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

2001 Rear Strut Replacement

Guest jheels

I have a 2001 Corolla. The passenger side rear strut is leaking. I'm replacing it myself.

Will I need to compress the spring myself with a spring compressor, or is there a replacement that comes

with a pre-compressed spring?

Thanks for any replies.

jheels

Hello and welcome to the forum. Generally most struts are sold as just the strut - not premade assemblies with springs, though they can be purchased in that way.

You will need a spring compressor to compress the spring - I would highly recommend the clamshell or heavy duty variants (many can be rented for a small fee) - the cheaper claw/hook variants can be downright dangerous to use. Ideally - you want to replace struts in axle pairs, otherwise handling could be adversely affected.

If you do a search for springs - there are several discussion where we discuss some tips and things to watch out for while doing this job. Well within the scope of a DIYer with the right equipment, but some items - like the rear brake line, or rear swaybar endlink - can be tough to get around.

Guest jheels

Thanks Fish,

I appreciate the guidance & info. I'll check out some of the other posts as well.

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)