Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

What Are They Thinking

By the99contour, March 12, 2008

• 1,424 posts

I just read today that Toyota is axing the Solara convertible after this model year, that I understand.

What I don't understand is why they are axing the coupe and replacing it with a cross-over Camry based SUV, which looks like a more Lexus like Highlander.

Wake up Toyota, a cross over SUV isn't sexy, it isn't sleek and it doesn't have two doors, so it won't attract coupe buyers.

Please give me something I want to buy in 2010!

I just don't understand. The Solara is sexy, classy, affordable, economical, and dependable. It is loaded to the gills even in its basest trim, gets good fuel economy, has a huge trunk, a large back seat that is relatively easy to get into and out of and did I mention that its sexy? Ford and GM have killed their coupes save the Mustang, G6 and Camaro because of lack of sales. Even the Monte Carlo is biting the dust. Why do people run from coupes like the plague?

It would seem to me that there are enough young, childless couples and singles in this country with good jobs and dispensable income enough to buy a car that would want a coupe, but instead they are driving their mother's Camry sedans, never using the rear doors.

It isn't like coupes are expensive. My Solara SE costs less than a comparable Camry LE sedan because while the base prices of the two cars are the same, my car has more standard equipment for that price, which is equipment that you have to pay extra for on the LE sedan. Insurance isn't the issue either. If you can afford a Camry Sedan, and its gas and insurance, you could easily afford the Solaras too since they get the same fuel economy and only cost within $200 a year for insurance.

Whatever, if Toyota doesn't build it in '10, Honda will. They've had an Accord Coupe on the market continually since 1997 and just spent a ton of money on an all new 2008 model, which will only be in the third year of its five to seven year lifespan in 2010.

Unfortunate to here that - too bad, as my folks were entertaining the idea of a Solara. Might be part of the Toyota Corporate stategy - I don't think they would kill off a car that sells relatively well. Remember its humble beginnings from a 3rd gen Camry Sedan - basically the Camry Coupe was a 4-door sedan with two doors lopped off - popped up to compete with the Honda Coupe, but the Toyota variant did poorly, so Toyota killed it off at the end of that generation. They waited a couple of years and came out with the Solara - new face, and new body - upped the available content /standard equipment list and really started to take off. Could be that they are pulling it off the shelf to do a complete makeover - then reintroduce them, instead of using "filler" models until the new ones are ready.

Topic List: Go to Everything Else