Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Guest LeighE

Two years ago, a friend of mine installed an Alpine Stereo and IPOD interface for me, but it broke recently. I kept the original factory stereo, so today we put it back in and installed a different IPOD interface that works with the factory stereo. However, the stereo won't turn on, even without the new IPOD interface installed. The display stays blank when we hit the Power button and hitting any of the buttons on the panel (CD, FM, etc.) has no effect. When we put the bigger plug into the back of the stereo, the CD motor makes a short whirring noise, like it is getting power. We plugged the old Alpine stereo back in just to test, and it still turns on. Everything else in the accessories panel works (fan, defrost, A/C, clock, hazards, etc.). In addition, if we plug in the IPOD, we can hear it through the speakers, but of course can't adjust the volume via the stereo. Does anyone have any ideas what's wrong here?

Hello and welcome to the forums. Depends on how the Alpine unit was installed. Did the installer have to modify any of the wiring (cut and splice) or just used a standard wiring harness adapter (plugs in between the factory harness and the radio)? Also, if your headunit is one of the models that has a built-in security feature - it may be "dead" until you enter the unlock code. Assuming that you are doing all this with the main battery unplugged before you start plugging/unplugging connectors. As there is always a chance that the original headunit got cooked some how.

Double check the connector - make sure that is doesn't have any damaged wires running from it - doesn't sound like you blew out any fuse. Hearing the Ipod through the existing speakers sounds like the adaptor is working - have you tried the OEM headunit without the adapter plugged in? Chances are - something has changed in the wiring (missing connector) or the Toyota headunit is smoked or locked.

Also check to see if the power cables are giving out power, both of them (12V).

Guest LeighE

No cutting or splicing of the wiring was done when the Alpine unit was installed - he just used the standard adapter. We checked and my model does not have a security feature on the radio. I have read that if it did, the radio would say SEC on the display until it was unlocked, which it does not. We did not see any damaged wires. We checked that when we discovered the radio wouldn't turn on. As mentioned in my original post, we did try it without the adapter plugged in and it made no difference. We did not have the main battery unplugged, so a short is a possibility. It doesn't sound like it could be anything else.

Hello and welcome to the forums. Depends on how the Alpine unit was installed. Did the installer have to modify any of the wiring (cut and splice) or just used a standard wiring harness adapter (plugs in between the factory harness and the radio)? Also, if your headunit is one of the models that has a built-in security feature - it may be "dead" until you enter the unlock code. Assuming that you are doing all this with the main battery unplugged before you start plugging/unplugging connectors. As there is always a chance that the original headunit got cooked some how.

Double check the connector - make sure that is doesn't have any damaged wires running from it - doesn't sound like you blew out any fuse. Hearing the Ipod through the existing speakers sounds like the adaptor is working - have you tried the OEM headunit without the adapter plugged in? Chances are - something has changed in the wiring (missing connector) or the Toyota headunit is smoked or locked.

you checked all the fuses right? And if you took a voltameter to test the power then I'm not sure what else it could be. besides a burned / shorting out wire some where in the dash where you can't see it.

you could see if another radio works(one that you know works in the first place) in your car .

he did try with another sterio swear people dont read proper it has to be between the wireing and inside the sterio if the wires are fine and sound is coming out mayb cords have come loose inside the sterio only thing i can think of cause clearly if sound is coming out of speakers by the ipod interface then it has to be going throw the sterio and the sterio would need power so its getting power but some how not to the screen or other parts with in the sterio may have burnt the board out take a look who noes my option is buy a new sterio there that cheap theses days or pick up one from junk yard or something

Topic List: Go to Toyota Corolla, Chevy Prizm (1998-2008)