Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

Which Inspection Can Be Done By Myself?

by dracodoc, October 23, 2004

Our 2000 corolla just got over 60k miles. I checked the scheduled maintenance log,

? Replace engine air filter ? Replace engine oil and oil filter

? Replace engine coolant ? Rotate tires (except MR2 Spyder)

? Replace air conditioning filter (Avalon)

? Replace platinum spark plugs (Camry, Camry Solara, Sienna)1

? Inspect the following:

__ Ball joints and dust covers __ Drive shaft boots

__ Brake lines and hoses __ Engine valve clearance

__ Brake linings/drums and brake pads/discs __ Exhaust pipes and mountings

__ Charcoal canister (Sienna)2 __ Fuel tank cap gasket

__ Differential oil __ Steering gear box

__ Drive belts3 __ Steering wheel, linkage and boots

__ Fuel lines and connections, fuel tank band __ Transmission fluid or oil

and fuel tank vapor vent system hoses

Additional Maintenance Items for Special Operating Conditions:*

? Inspect nuts and bolts on chAssis and body

? Replace automatic transmission fluid

? Replace differential oil

? Replace manual transmission oil

I called the dealer for price, they told me $389. I found it later that it's their plantinum service package, not same with this list, including atf flush,etc. Since most replacement have been done in last major engine service (spark plug,oil and oil filter) or not applicable for our car, I decided to only replace coolant and air filter.

Then the inspections are still left. I felt some of them should be easy and can be do it by myself, so which one I can do , and how to do it?

Of course there are some I can't do, but I thought I can have some knowledge about them through other clues.

Most of the inspections entail looking for things that are leaking, are cracked, or missing.

You would have to take off the wheels to most of the inpections around thoses areas. A jack would be nice (a real one, not the scissor jack that came with it) - to lift up the car to check for chAssis and suspension bolts. Audible inspections can be used for some things - but usually if you can hear something go bad - then it is usually too late to do anything preventive.

Good Luck.

Topic List