Corollas2019-23ToyotasTech

Search Corolland!

By Braddale, October 21, 2004

I just finished looking at the Cooper tire site, and they list the 185/65/14 size as an optional tire for the Corolla VE, but they also state that it would require a different rim. I presumed that it would fit on the original rim, (175/65/14 mounted on it).

Any advice?

Thanks.

Max

You might check out tirerack.com for second opinion on the sizing. I don't think they sell Coopers, but their sizing info is rock solid.

Look around on the rim. You should find a stamping that says something like 14...5.5...40

The first number is the rim diameter, the second is the rim width (I'm guessing that it's 5.5 since you have 175 width tires mounted on it) and the last number is the offset which you won't have to worry about.

For a rim that's 5.5" wide, you can mount anything from a 175 to a 195mm wide tire, but I'd stick with 185 as the optimal tire width for that rim width.

the AE112R corolla levin has same wheel dimensions as the ascent/conquest, and uses a wider tyre 10mm wider.

Guest tenorGJ

Brad,

Good timing. I just installed four new Good year Comofrtreds on my 98 VE with the 175 size. I upped to 185 to get the Goodyears. No new rims needed. In fact, the 185 comes standard on the LE, same rims...

Thanks for the reply's.

I'd like to switch to the 185's, the 175's just seem so small.

Mercury is right. The 14 x 5.5 stock steel wheel can handle a 195 wide tire with no problem. I replaced my stock 185/65/14 tires with 195/60/14 and I never had a problem. Plus, it made the car handle better.

Topic List